Teaching and Learning Academy enhancement
TLA works with staff, students and the higher education sector in a number of ways
Teaching and Learning Academy’s ultimate aim is to enhance the learning experience of every LJMU student. To achieve this goal, TLA undertakes a variety of activities which are outlined below.
Services for staff
We know our staff are experts in their fields. We wish to build on that passion and extend this into their teaching practice, encouraging staff to share their best practice with other members within the University.
TLA offers the following support to LJMU staff:
- Training and development to enhance academic practice
- Support and training in the use of the institution's VLE, Canvas and associated learning technologies
- Annual Teaching and Learning Conference
- Regular Research and Practice (RAP) Seminars
- Support for institution-wide teaching and learning research projects
- Opportunity to apply for Curriculum Enhancement Projects and Curriculum Enhancement Internships
- Student surveys support
- Faculty, School and programme-level tailored quantitative and qualitative student feedback analysis
If you would like to know more about any of these initiatives, please get in touch.
Accredited development with the Academy
TLA hosts a range of accredited development opportunities for staff and these are detailed below:
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
LJMU staff with less than five years HE teaching experience are encouraged to enrol on the LJMU Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice. Completion of the Certificate also leads to Fellowship of Advance HE.
There are a range of completion options available: Certificate, Diploma or MA.
For further information please see contact Rachel Boulter.
3is – Information, Ideas and Insights
The 3is is an initial teacher practice programme comprising a series of half day workshops that focus on key subjects/issues facing postgraduate researchers (PGRs), graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) and those LJMU staff for whom teaching is a small part of their role.
Completion of this programme is mandatory for any PGRs prior to commencing teaching.
LJMU staff who have a small teaching remit are also welcome to complete the programme.
If you would like to enrol on the programme or for further information, please email TLA3is@ljmu.ac.uk
Services for the higher education sector
TLA works with a range of organisations within the higher education sector (for example, the Quality Assurance Agency, Higher Education Institutional Research Network and Advance HE) alongside the Liverpool Students' Union.
The way TLA works with higher education institutions varies, but in general we:
- Offer research and consultancy in qualitative institutional data analysis
- Build collaborations both within the University and with the wider higher education sector through externally funded and recognised research projects
- Provide a focus for dissemination, networking, knowledge-exchange and joint-working
Over 65% of permanent academic staff have a teaching qualification or recognition through Advance HE
Fellows of Advance HE within LJMU
postgraduate research students/graduate teaching assistants have completed the 3is over last two years
staff enrolled in LJMU's Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma in Academic Practice during 2019-20