Sport Scholarship Scheme
How to apply for the LJMU Sport Scholarship Scheme
Our Sport Scholarship Scheme has supported Olympic and Commonwealth Champions. Find out how we can take your performance to the next level.
Kelley Massey and Anika Onuora
What is the Sport Scholarship Scheme?
Our Sport Scholarship scheme is one of the leading initiatives the UK and helps talented students fulfil both their sporting and their academic potential. In these videos, our Sport Scholars explain what the scholarship involves and how it can help you:
What do you receive as part of the Sport Scholarship Scheme?
You’ll receive cash bursaries
You’ll be able to access our sports science expertise
Liverpool John Moores University has some of the leading sports science experts in the world and professional, elite and Olympic athletes come to our academics for guidance.
As a Sport Scholar, you’ll receive this specialist guidance, which should help you enhance your sporting performance.
You’ll receive extra study support
We know that the thought of balancing your training, competing and studying can be daunting, which is why we offer Sport Scholars a mentor.
Your mentor can offer your study support, helping you if it’s necessary to meet or defer deadlines.
Other benefits of our Sport Scholarship Scheme:
- Specialist Sports Science support, including fitness tests and profiling, strength and conditioning programmes, nutritional advice/sport psychology
- Individual or opposition match/technique analysis
- Athlete access to the High-Performance Unit which is LJMUs Elite Training Centre
- Regularly scheduled Sports Science seminars on latest relevant issues
- Student membership is available for the LJMU Sports Centre on Copperas Hill in Liverpool City Centre. The Sports Centre includes an 8 court sports hall, two multifunctional studio rooms and a two floor gym comprising of over 120 training stations, complete with the latest Technogym Excite range of equipment
- A range of LJMU-branded sports kit
- Support for competition and training-related travel, accommodation, kit and equipment
How can I apply for the Sport Scholarship Scheme?
Once you have checked whether you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for the Liverpool John Moores University Scholarship Scheme.
Are you eligible to apply?
Please read through the sporting and academic criteria to check if you are eligible to apply for a Sport Scholarship.
- Liverpool John Moores University encourages applications from elite athletes competing in any recognised BUSA, World University Games, Commonwealth games and Olympic games sport. We will offer Sport Scholarship support to athletes from sports that Liverpool John Moores University is best equipped to provide for, in terms of coaching expertise, sports science expertise and facilities.
- Junior or Senior International standard athletes from all sports are encouraged to apply, as are athletes competing at elite club level.
- It should be noted that the competitive level benchmarks detailed above serve as preliminary guidelines for the level of athlete eligible to apply. Meeting these guidelines does not guarantee a Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholarship.
- Sports Scholars will have the potential and dedication to reach world-class potential or performance level (or equivalent) in their sport.
- Sport Scholarships are available to both existing Liverpool John Moores University students and prospective Liverpool John Moores University students. The Sport Scholarship Scheme is university-wide. Students applying for a Liverpool John Moores University Sport Scholarship can study any Liverpool John Moores University course both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholars are athletes who have fulfilled the normal academic requirements for undergraduate or postgraduate entry and are enrolled on a Liverpool John Moores University course.
- Sport Scholars must make satisfactory progress in both their sporting and academic pursuits to have their Scholarship renewed annually.
How can you apply?
Applications for a Sport Scholarship should be made via the application form online.
All first applications must be received before 12 May in the year in which you intend to start your degree. Please click this link to fill in your application.
Two references will be required. On your application form you should provide contact details for both a sporting reference and an academic reference.
Liverpool John Moores University Sport Scholar Application Group will meet in May to shortlist applications and make conditional scholarship offers. Conditional offers will be confirmed as soon as entry to your desired course or progression to the next level of your current course has been verified.
Should you apply to Liverpool John Moores University and not meet the academic requirements for your course, all Sport Scholarship offers and agreements will be null and void.
Selection for the Sport Scholarship will be based on current and past performance, commitment and determination to succeed, as well as maintenance of academic standards. Please ensure you highlight your ability to achieve in these areas in the application form.
Liverpool John Moores University requires notification of any current contracts with clubs or sponsors. This is to ensure that involvement in Liverpool John Moores University’s Sport Scholarship Scheme does not jeopardise other agreements.
Previous Sport Scholar athletes
Curious about our Sport Scholars? Here are a few current and former students who were awarded the scholarships:
- Hannah Whelan: England, Gymnastics
- Osian Jones: Hammer, Track and Field
- Nathan Maguire: Wheelchair Racing
- Martyn Bernard: England, Athletics
- Tom Gallichan: Jersey, Swimming
- Laura Malcolm: England, Netball
- Kelly Massey: England, Athletics
- Jonny Mellor: England, Athletics
- Anyika Onuora: England, Athletics
- Michael Rimmer: England, Athletics
- Niamh Charles: England, Chelsea F.C Women, Football
If you have a question or would like more information, please contact David McDermott, the Sport Scholarship Manager.