The annual survey and audit of teaching space will take place across the university between the hours of 9am and 5pm from Monday 23 to Friday 27 October 2023.
The survey and audit help us to capture accurate data and confirm that our spaces are being used optimally.
How is the survey and audit undertaken?
Room surveyors will visit buildings where teaching takes place from Monday to Friday, between the hours of 9am and 5pm. They will go into rooms between 10 minutes past and 15 minutes before the hour.
Room surveyors will make a headcount and record information about the use of space, they will not be observing the teaching or the individuals within the spaces – it is simply the use of space that is being recorded.
All room surveyors may remain briefly in teaching spaces but will make every effort to avoid disruption.
Our surveyors are advised:
- Not enter the room if not required i.e. make a headcount from a vision panel
- If they do enter, then not to disturb the class but to make a headcount
- That if they are approached by an academic or other student, to explain they are doing the teaching space audit
- To wear their lanyards and carry with them their role confirmation letter
Best practice for use of LJMU’s teaching space
For all staff using our teaching space, the Estates and Facilities Management team has provided their tips for good practice to follow when using our facilities:
- Utilise all booked events
- Avoid cancelling teaching events - unused rooms have a significant negative effect on utilisation
- Do not release students to breakout rooms which have not been booked
- Remind students of the importance of attending lectures
Plus, during the survey and audit period to schedule any teaching breaks outside of the survey and audit times, i.e. breaks to be taken between 10 minutes before the hour to 10 minutes past the hour.
Who to contact if you have further questions
Colleagues’ patience and co-operation is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions regarding the survey and audit please email Mike Freeman in Estates Development.