Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Small Business and Entrepreneurship Research (SBER) Group
The group aims to bridge the theory-practice gap in order to create a positive impact on businesses, society and the economy.
The group conducts research to identify and address the needs of micro, small, medium and entrepreneurial firms. We focus on capacity building of businesses to enhance the social and economic development at the local, regional, national and international levels.
We are a group of highly skilled and experienced scholars with a broad range of knowledge, industry experience and strong links to industry and professional bodies.
The group conducts research into the following core areas:
- Entrepreneurship and business failure
- Investigating the causes and factors that lead to enterprise and business failure.
- Entrepreneurship and Identity
- Exploring how social, cultural, political and economic identities shape entrepreneurship in the city/region, UK and globally.
- Small business management and growth
- Examining management and strategy challenges faced by smaller businesses and how they can be addressed to enhance survival and growth.
To achieve our aim we embark on the following activities:
- Organise seminars to tap into the knowledge and expertise of experienced scholars and visiting research fellows to enhance research activities of members and postgraduate students
- Collaborate with entrepreneurs and industry experts to enhance research activities of members and postgraduate students
- Collaborate with local, regional, national and international businesses to enhance capacity building for social and economic development
- Work closely with the Centre for Entrepreneurship to enhance entrepreneurship education and research
Currently members of the Group are working on a number of research projects that have local, regional, national and international focus.
Some of the projects are:
- Liverpool, Music City - a placemaking approach to cultural policy
- Competitive dynamics of entrepreneurial family firms in North-West region
- Investigating the sustainability of the UK Coffee Shops and Cafés;
- Accessing capital for social enterprise led renewable energy
- A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of Crowdfunding for Entrepreneurs
- Institutions, Trust and Managing Entrepreneurial Relationships in Africa
- Strategic Management and Growth of Medium Size Enterprises (MSEs) in Africa
- Trust in Trade Credit Relationships in Africa
Search publications from the academics within this research group
3 papers found
Convergence in the English and French education systems: Vive la difference!
Wolstencroft P and Whitfield E and Dinning TM
Publish date: 08/03/2023
Assessing the notion of art as a product: entrepreneurial marketing insights from the visual arts
Fillis I and Lehman K and Wickham M
Publish date: 02/02/2023
Creation and consumption experience of cultural value in contemporary art
Fillis I and Lee B and Fraser I
Publish date: 26/01/2023
Loading staff profiles…
Dr Cynthia AkweiRead more
Dr Huifeng BaiRead more
Catherine BonserRead more
Dr Jan BrownRead more
Dr Track DinningRead more
Dr Jackie DouglasRead more
Prof Ian FillisRead more
Tom FletcherRead more
Dr Emer GallagherRead more
Dr Bin GaoRead more
Dr Elizabeth Heyworth-ThomasRead more
Dr Deborah HumphreysRead more
Dr Blanca MamutseRead more
Dr Muhammad NawazRead more
Dr Seamus O'BrienRead more
Dr Sameer QaiyumRead more
Dr Adam ShoreRead more
Philomene UwamaliyaRead more
Dr Rocio Valdivielso Del RealRead more
Dr Tashkin VasfiRead more
Louise WilliamsRead more
Other full members
- Emma Robinson (Centre for Entrepreneurship)
- Amy Gerrard (Centre for Entrepreneurship)
- Jonathon Clark (Manager, LCR Activate)
Associate Research Group Members
Patrick Hurley (Inclusive Economy, Liverpool)
Ted Rowlands (Evaluator of European Social and Regional Development Fund Programmes in Greater Manchester)
Doctoral student members
Loading staff profiles…
Zayed Alremeithi - Knowledge management and organisational learning contribution to organisational agility in the UAE
Timothy Whitehill - Getting organisational resiliance through procurement
Chris Taylor - The manifestation of Entrepreneurial Orientation within local government during a period of change and uncertainty.
Gido Englisch - Decision-making regarding the use of social media in the case of German 'Mittelstand'
Nelka Sudarshani Fonseka Hewa Fonsekage - "Institutional Influences on Female Entrepreneurship in Sri Lanka"
Andrew Wilson - "From the perspective of the successful entrepreneur: An investigation towards the most effective entrepreneurial traits that contribute towards SME success"
Nikolaos Sakellarios - "Resilience and Coping behaviour among micro, small, and medium sized enterprises in times of economic crisis: An exploratory case study of Greek and Cypriot firms"
Iwe Ojei - "An investigation of internal CSR practices within the oil sector in Nigeria"
Tom Ajobo - "Developing a Framework for Analysing the Effects of ICT Adoption and Use on Knowledge Creation by SMEs: A Case Study of SMEs in Nigeria"
Zafar Ali - "An Evaluation of the impact of University Entrepreneurial Offerings on the Students' Entrepreneurial Intentions: Evidence from KP, Pakistan"
Farisa Mohd Idris - "Enhancing Small and Medium Enterprises' (SMEs) access to financing by Development Financial Institutions (DFIs): A case study of Malaysia"
- Professor Kim Lehman (University of Tasmania)
- Associate Professor Ozge Gokbulut Izdemir, (Yildirim Beyazit University, Ankara)
- Dr Kingsley Omeihi Obinna (Napier University, Edinburgh)
- Stephen Okoro (Leeds College of Building)
- Patrick Hurley (CEO, Inclusive Economy, Liverpool)
- Ted Rowlands (Evaluator of European Social and Regional Development Fund Programmes in Greater Manchester)
Some of our members manage and teach on the MSc Entrepreneurship Programme at Liverpool Business School.
The research group is led by Dr. Isaac Oduro Amoako. Please contact us with regards to:
- Invitations for keynote speeches, presentations or workshops
- PhD applications in the area of entrepreneurship, small business management and social enterprise
- Research collaborations
- Capacity building for businesses
Please contact us via: I.O.Amoako@ljmu.ac.uk