Practice-based approach to professional learning
We offer a range of professional development programmes for teachers and others working in the education sector.
We are able to design bespoke programmes for delivery on school premises. Such programmes provide schools with the opportunity to influence content and outcomes according to their needs.
Our approach to professional development:
- Is flexible and tailored to support individual school improvement needs, with a variety of professional development pathways
- Spans the professional journey from initial teacher training, through customised support and Masters level learning linked to professional practice
- Supports regional schools networks in developing and sharing best practice
- Supports the development of teachers as practitioner researchers, improving their understanding of, and impact on, improving performance in the classroom
Our programmes offer a practice-based approach to professional learning with a focus on school development and the achievement of learners that meet the needs of professionals working at all levels in the field of education.
Our programmes at postgraduate certificate level offer specialised training designed to address specific needs. They may lead to progression onto the full MA award if desired.
- Advanced Educational Practice: Mentoring and Coaching in Education (PGCert)
- Special Educational Needs Coordination (PGCert) (developed with School Improvement Liverpool to meet the requirements of the National Award for SENCOs)
Short courses for teachers
We have the expertise to support professional development in the following areas:
Practitioner research for teachers, special educational needs, dyslexia, leadership, early years education, primary curriculum and pedagogy, secondary curriculum and pedagogy, mentoring and coaching, subject specific support in sciences, design and technology, mathematics, modern languages, physical education, computing and teaching assistant training.
Courses in these areas may be developed and delivered in school in a variety of formats.
Supporting science education on Merseyside
The School is proud to be part of the Science Learning Network North West, one of five regional consortia nationally within England. We work closely with Merseyside schools and colleges to support the delivery of great science education through a range of science-focused CPD programmes and conferences, with 98% of course attendees rating the CPD as ‘very good’ or ‘good’.