Duration: Full-Time, 3 Years including 12 months at sea
- Applicants must have obtained grade 4 or grade C or above in English Language and Mathematics GCSE or • Key Skills Level 2 in English/ Maths • NVQ Level 2 Functional skills in Maths and English Writing and or Reading • Skills for Life Level 2 in Numeracy/English • Higher Diploma in Maths/ English • Functional skills level 2 in Maths/ English
- Medical fitness Certificate (ENG1 or equivalent) including eyesight requirements
- International Applicants should hold a UKVI approved English Language Qualification (equivalent to IELTS 5.5 average)
Accreditation/Approval: Merchant Navy Training Board, Maritime & Coastguard Agency
Course description: Completing the FDSc Marine Operations at Liverpool John Moores University will enable you to graduate as a maritime professional with a professionally-accredited degree plus an MCA Officer of the Watch certificate. This will then allow you to navigate commercial vessels anywhere in the world or work in a wide variety of shore based jobs in the shipping sector.
Upon completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- Achieve Foundation Degree accredited by the Merchant Navy Training Board and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
- Gain sea service required for the OOW CoC by spending 12 months at sea to complete work-based modules.
- If desired, progress to BSc (Hons).
In essence, this course provides the first step towards becoming a ship's captain or entering shore-based careers in marine surveying, ship management, consultancy, research and maritime education.
For further information or application for admission to this programme, please contact:
Admissions Team, Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Room 210, James Parsons Building