Apply for the LJMU Sports Scholarship
Our Scheme has supported Olympic and Commonwealth Champions. How can we take your performance to the next level?
Our Sports Scholarship scheme is one of the leading initiatives the UK and helps talented students fulfil both their sporting and their academic potential.
In this video we explain what the scholarship involves and how it can help you:
What do you receive as part of the Sports Scholarship?
There are a whole host of benefits you'll receive as a Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholar.
You’ll be able to access our sports science expertise
Liverpool John Moores University has some of the leading sports science experts in the world and professional, elite and Olympic athletes come to our academics for guidance. As a Sports Scholar you’ll receive this specialist guidance, which should help you enhance your sporting performance.
You’ll receive extra study support
We know that the thought of balancing your training, competing and studying can be daunting, which is why we offer Sports Scholars a mentor. Your mentor can offer your study support, helping you if it’s necessary to meet or defer deadlines.
You'll receive cash bursaries
As a Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholar, you'll receive cash bursaries.
- Specialist Sports Science support, including fitness tests and profiling, strength and conditioning programmes, nutritional advice/sport psychology support
- Individual or opposition match/technique analysis
- Regularly scheduled Sports Science seminars on latest relevant issues
- Year-round and unlimited access to 13 Lifestyles Gyms and Fitness Centres, courtesy of Liverpool City Council
- A range of LJMU-branded sports kit
- Support for competition and training-related travel, accommodation, kit and equipment
- Privileged accesses to University sport massage facilities
How can I apply?
To apply for the Sport Scholarship Scheme, first check that you are eligible. Then, click the 'How to apply' tab below to find out how to submit your application.
Are you eligible to apply?
Read through the sporting and academic criteria to figure out if you should apply for a Sport Scholarship.
- Liverpool John Moores University encourages applications from elite athletes competing in any recognised BUSA, World University Games, Commonwealth games and Olympic games sport. We will offer Sports Scholarship support to athletes from sports that Liverpool John Moores University is best equipped to provide for, in terms of coaching expertise, sports science expertise and facilities.
- Junior or Senior International standard athletes from all sports are encouraged to apply, as are athletes competing at elite club level
- It should be noted that the competitive level benchmarks detailed above serve as preliminary guidelines for the level of athlete eligible to apply. Meeting these guidelines does not guarantee an Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholarship
- Sports Scholars will have the potential and dedication to reach world-class potential or performance level (or equivalent) in their sport
- Sports Scholarships are available to both existing Liverpool John Moores University students and prospective Liverpool John Moores University students. The Sports Scholarship Scheme is university-wide. Students applying for an Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholarship can study any Liverpool John Moores University course both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholars are athletes who have fulfilled the normal academic requirements for undergraduate or postgraduate entry and are enrolled on an Liverpool John Moores University course
- Sports Scholars must make satisfactory progress in both their sporting and academic pursuits to have their Scholarship renewed annually
How to apply
Applications for a Sports Scholarship should be made by submitting this application form.
All first applications must be received before 12 May in the year in which you intend to start your degree. The completed application form should be returned to the Sports Scholarship Manager at the address below:
Liverpool John Moores University,
Sports Scholarship Manager,
Liverpool, L3 2AJ
Two references will be required. On your application form you should provide contact details for both a sporting reference and an academic reference.
Liverpool John Moores University Sports Scholar Application Group will meet in May to shortlist applications and make conditional scholarship offers. Conditional offers will be confirmed as soon as entry to your desired course or progression to the next level of your current course has been verified.
Should you apply to Liverpool John Moores University and not meet the academic requirements for your course, all Sports Scholarship offers and agreements will be null and void.
Selection for the Sports Scholarship will be based on current and past performance, commitment and determination to succeed, as well as maintenance of academic standards. Please ensure you highlight your ability to achieve in these areas in the application form
Liverpool John Moores University requires notification of any current contracts with clubs or sponsors. This is to ensure that involvement in Liverpool John Moores University’s Sport Scholarship Scheme does not jeopardise other agreements.
Meet Sports Scholar Craig Langley
Watch this video to find out more about Sports Scholarships