Benefits and being a student
Can you claim benefits as a student?
The majority of full-time students are not eligible for benefits while they are studying. If you need advice about which benefits you can claim, or what counts as income, then please contact us.
Exceptions apply to:
- lone parents with a dependent child/children. The age of your children can affect which benefits you are eligible for.
- some students with disabilities or health conditions
- students who are pensioners
- student couples with at least one dependent child
- students who take a leave of absence from their studies due to ill health or caring responsibilities. You can claim JSA for a maximum of 12 months or, if the time period is shorter, until:
- the date of recovery
- the date you resume your studies
- the date your caring responsibilities end
Please note: Some of your student income will be counted as income in your benefit calculation.