Information for 2016/17 international undergraduates

Answers to your student finance questions

Got a question about your student finance?

If you’ve got a question about student funding, you might find the answer below. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, please get in touch with a student advisor.

Can I work to fund my studies?

You should be able to work either 10 or 20 hours a week during term time, depending on the level of course you are studying. Check your visa stamp to be sure. You must not rely on part-time earnings to support yourself financially. If you have a ‘prohibition’ rather than ‘restriction’ on working please contact us. Similarly, if you have any questions relating to working while studying, please get in contact.  

Can I get a scholarship when I'm in the UK?

It is very difficult to get a scholarship once you have started your course. You should make sure your funding is in place prior to arriving in the UK. 

What if I find myself in financial difficulties during my studies?

We appreciate that things can happen during your studies. There is only very limited help available to international students who are in emergency situations. Please contact us for more information. 

What's the cost of living like in the UK?

As an international student studying in Liverpool you will need to have a minimum of £9,135 for your living costs in order to get a visa. You may need more depending on your lifestyle. It is important to budget your money. You can try and calculate how much you might spend whilst in the UK using the International Student calculator.