Employability – we'll kick start your career
News readers, designers, judges, engineers – these are just some of the positions held by our graduates across the globe. Whatever your dream job, we're here to help you achieve your ambitions.
How will you improve my career prospects?
In this section we run through the many ways we will equip you for today's job market.
You’ll graduate with practical experience
All of our degrees include work-related learning, which means that when you graduate from Liverpool John Moores University, you don’t just leave with a good degree, you also leave with practical experience.
And in the world of work, experience is invaluable. It’s also something lots of other graduates lack.
Here are a few examples of the kinds of practical experience you can get whilst studying for your degree at Liverpool John Moores University:
- Nursing, midwifery and paramedic students – you’ll use hospital-standard facilities and treat virtual patients. Student midwives will also be able to make use of our birthing simulator
- Creative Writing students – as a Creative Writing student you’ll be encouraged to go on a placement. Previous students have enjoyed working at fashion magazines, fanzines, advertising agencies and newspapers
- Engineering students – join the Formula Student team and you could find yourself test driving your racing car at Silverstone
Our graduate employment rates are improving year on year, with more and more students securing prestigious, graduate positions
You'll improve your job prospects with our careers support
Our careers service can help improve your job prospects when you graduate.
Architect? Journalist? Engineer? What’s your dream job?
Whatever you’ve got your sights set on – and even if you don’t have a clear idea what you want to do when you graduate – our careers service can transform your prospects by giving you the real-world skills employers value.
We'll help you:
- Secure work experience, a work placement or an internship with an outstanding employer
- Get support for your very own start-up
- Write or improve your CV
- Gain interview and psychometric test experience
- Get onto one of our careers workshops where employers share top tips
- Attend employer presentations, networking events and Q&A sessions
You’ll also have a dedicated faculty careers advisor who will give you tailored careers guidance.
Your facilities will be world class
Want to work in TV? Great. We have broadcast quality TV studios. Engineering more your thing? Fantastic. You’ll love our state-of-the-art engineering labs.
Our facilities replicate industry environments, which means that you can master the key skills you’ll need when you secure your first position.
Your teaching staff will have industry experience
To make sure that you have an up-to-date and commercially relevant degree, you will be taught by leading academics who are actively involved within their industry. We also invite industry leaders to give guest lectures to our students.
LJMU's Centre for Entrepreneurship is the perfect example of the right support for students and graduates who want to set up their own business.
You can start your own business using our help
If you fancy following in the footsteps of entrepreneurs like Nick D’Aloiso, the creator of Summly, or beauty vlogger Tanya Burr, our Centre for Entrepreneurship can help you.
We have Business Advisers on hand who can give you the advice you need to start your own business. We also provide funding for students who have great business ideas and organise high-profile business events. For example, in 2014 we hosted the National Student Enterprise Conference.
You can get the experience you need by volunteering
Giving your time to a good cause won’t just improve other people’s quality of life, it will also impress your future employers.
We have fantastic relationships with four charities within Liverpool:
- Entrepreneurship, Employability and Citizenship category: Whitechapel Centre provides services to rough sleepers, people living in temporary accommodation and those at risk of becoming homeless.
- Teaching and Learning category: Alder Hey Children’s Charity raises vital funds to help make Alder Hey in the Park a truly world-class, patient-friendly hospital for the 275,000 patients and families cared for every year.
- Research category: Mersey Counselling and Therapy Centre, run by professional volunteer counsellors, provides support to a range of clients who are unable to access the help they need through the social care system, or are unable to afford to access care independently.
- Social and Economic Engagement category: Samaritans of Liverpool and Merseyside, is run by volunteers and provides vital support to people at risk of committing suicide.
In addition to the four charities we help, our LiverpoolSU also supports Volunteering Liverpool, an organisation that matches local volunteer opportunities to students’ skills and interests. Staff are also on hand to help you become the best volunteer possible.
You can make use of our fantastic links with employers
You can work with the Liverpool Students' Union
LiverpoolSU employ around 150 students to work in a wide range of roles. This is a great opportunity to earn extra money (you'll be paid the living wage) and gain experience alongside your studies. Plus if you are considering taking a year out from your studies or seeking employment after you graduate, LiverpoolSU also offer full-time year-long placements. Take a look at the current vacancies on the LiverpoolSU website.
The support doesn't end when you graduate
We work with alumni for up to three years after graduation.
Our students work all over the world
Once you've graduated you might want to work outside of the UK. If that's the case, we're on hand to help.
Our Goinglobal Database will provide you with all the information you need – from helping you find a position, to giving you information on visas, industry trends and local culture.
My tutor was really inspirational. He had worked in the product design industry and helped me get the design right. LJMU’s Centre for Entrepreneurship also assisted me with a business plan and provided reassurance that we were on the right lines for launching the product.