Student working in library

International students

Pre-departure covid testing is now a mandatory requirement for all passengers (regardless of nationality) arriving in England. For up-to-date information on this, please visit the Government website. This means you need to take a COVID-19 test up to 72 hours before departure and provide evidence of a negative test result on arrival in the UK. Please ensure that your test provider is recognised by both the UK border force and by your chosen airline. Test results must be presented in English, French or Spanish. Translations will not be accepted. In line with UK Government guidelines, the University is advising our new International Students to delay their travel to the UK at this time and commence or continue their studies online, wherever possible.

Due to recent government changes to arrivals policy, all travellers must now quarantine for 10 days, without exception and they must pre-book a COVID-19 testing package before departure from their home country. This package will require arriving passengers to take tests on days 2 and 8 of their UK quarantine. This can be done through the website and will cost travellers a total of £210.  

If you have any questions, please contact our Track and Trace team by emailing or by calling 0151 231 3668 from 10am – 4pm daily.

Useful information

Arriving into Liverpool and arranging an airport pick up

Whilst it is not advised or, in some cases, not possible to travel into the UK from other countries at the moment, we would like you to know that we are here to support your arrival where travel is essential. We will arrange a collection service for students travelling into the UK via Manchester International Airport (MAN) and to Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL). To book this service you will need to give our support team four days notice in order to guarantee a transfer. The deadline for airport collections has now passed for the current academic cycle, however, we will be publishing collection dates for the new academic year in September 2021.

Please note that drivers have the right to refuse a collection if passengers do not wear a face covering, unless passengers are exempt from doing so. Request this service here.  

You will be asked, as part of your registration, to advise LJMU of your arrival date in the UK and the address you will be staying at while you complete your 10 day quarantine period. It’s important that you remain at this address for the full ten days of your quarantine. Self-isolation or managed quarantine is mandatory to all UK arrivals and is enforceable by UK law. Failure to comply with quarantine guidance can come with a financial penalty. As part of an ongoing government initiative, established in February 2021, all those travelling into the UK must now pre-book a COVID-19 testing package in advance of arrival. This package will see arrivals taking tests on days 2 and 8 of their quarantine in the UK. These tests are in addition to the one needed prior to travel. This package will come at a cost of £210, payable by the traveller.

If you have any queries about the support we can offer you in your quarantine period, please contact  

Please be aware that inbound flights to the UK now require an online landing form to be completed within 48 hours prior to travelling. This will generate a QR code which will be checked in the UK, find out more on the GOV UK website. It is in this form, that you will need to state details of your COVID-19 test package. See full details on how to complete your quarantine.

On arrival in Liverpool, the university will provide personal support and initial provisions to make sure you are comfortable and can begin your studies online.  

We will have in place a whole range of orientation, guidance and advice together with online social events and activities to help you settle into your UK home and community.

Our Student Advice and Wellbeing team are in place to support all students, and international students will be able to access the full range of help, advice and guidance.

Our Students' Union can help international students orientate and settle in with advice, guidance, social activities and events.

Students arriving into London

We know that many of our students have only been able to arrange a flight to London and are looking for the best way to transfer by car to get to their accommodation in Liverpool.

There are many travel firms who are able to arrange transfers from London for students. Whilst the University has no affiliation with any particular organisation, Executive Travel based in Liverpool are happy to arrange collections from Gatwick and Heathrow Airport to transport students to their accommodation in Liverpool.

Examples of the costs provided by Executive Travel:

Heathrow – Liverpool: 1–4 people is £330/5–8 people is £380

Gatwick – Liverpool: 1–4 people is £360/5–8 people is £400

If students wish to share transportation with other students arriving at the same time, we would recommend using our LJMU CampusConnect platform to chat to others about their plans to make arrangements together before booking. Details of how to access this platform can be found in your offer letter from the University.

Transportation would need to be booked directly with Executive Travel on +44 (0)151 495 2552 who are open for calls between the hours of 9am and 5pm UK time. A minimum of four days notice is required in advance of your arrival in to London. Please have your flight number and arrival terminal to hand when booking. Payment will be taken at the time of booking on the telephone by credit card.

Alternatively, websites such as and can be used to book a single journey and pay online.

Please note: the University is not recommending any particular service, but providing you with this information to help you make plans accordingly.

How to complete registration and enrol

If you are a new student you’ll first need to activate your LJMU computer account before you can complete your online registration. To do this you’ll need your six digit student ID number, which you will find this on your registration email. (This is the same number as your Applicant ID on your offer letter).

Next, go to My LJMU and click on the “My Account” tile. Select   Activate My Account and follow the instructions to set up your LJMU username and password. Remember to write down your username as you will need this in future!

Remember to place 'PN' before your 6 Digit ID number when activating your account e.g. PN123456

Then click on the Registration tile and follow the instructions. You will need to upload copies of your photo ID documents such as your passport or a driving licence as part of the registration process so please have this to hand. You’ll also need to upload a photo to be included on your student ID card.

International students must also complete this online form and then email their outstanding supporting documents to

If you are having any difficulty with your username or logging into My LJMU or My Services please see the guidance notes.

Once this process is completed, your LJMU student ID card will be printed and posted to you at your UK address. You do not need to be in the UK to complete this process and can do everything online before you travel to Liverpool.

All international students are required to have paid a minimum 50% of the tuition fee prior to re-registration each year, or to have supplied/uploaded a sponsorship letter for the full tuition fee amount.

Accessing your courses online and contacting your tutor

When you have completed your registration and enrolment, within 24 hours you will see your modules appear on CANVAS, our online learning platform.

Zoom - will be used for your live online teaching sessions. Access your sessions by going to your relevant Canvas module, clicking on the Zoom link in the course menu and clicking the “Join” button. You may be prompted to download the Zoom app before joining the session. (Note, if you are provided with a join url to join a session and you are prompted to log in, please look for the Sign in with SSO option and log in with your LJMU username - - and password). Further information can be found on our Zoom Student Support pages

Enrolment or Timetable Issues - Take a look at the Before You Arrive website or the MYLJMU student webpage.

Canvas Help - If you need some help with Canvas, check our Student Help pages. Most of the answers to questions you have about Canvas and other software can be found here.  If you can’t find the answer to your question, click on the Help icon in the Canvas main menu. 

Canvas App -  Download the Canvas app to keep you updated with what’s happening in your courses on your mobile. Just search for 'Canvas Student' in your app store. To personalise how you receive these updates take a look at the notification preferences guide.

User Guide - How to make an appointment to consult with your Personal Tutor or other member of staff via MyLJMU

Arranging self-isolation support for your arrival in Liverpool

Students arriving in the UK are currently required to self-isolate for 10 days on arrival, unless you opt to take part in the Test and Release scheme. This means that you are not allowed to leave your house, flat or studio during this period. More information on what this means can be found on the Government website.

If you already have accommodation booked, we recommend that you move into it to complete your isolation period. LJMU is not offering any short-term accommodation for this purpose.  

University Accommodation contracts are available from 9 January 2021 onwards.

If you are an International student arriving from outside the EU you can request an airport pick up from Liverpool or Manchester airport via the link on this webpage. As per current government guidelines, we recommend our new International Students commence their studies online at this time.

Whenever and however you arrive, LJMU will support you during the self-isolation period. We can provide a pack of kitchen essentials and bedding as well as an initial food package including a UK SIM card. The bedding will include a duvet and cover, pillow and pillowcase and bedsheet. All of these items will be provided free of charge to those who need them and are yours to keep. Please note that these items can only be delivered on weekdays and usually on the day of your arrival. The items will be delivered to your door and will be left outside if there is no-one to receive them.

If you need us to arrange a package for you, we need you to send an email, quoting your LJMU student ID number to with answers to the following questions:

  • Where will you be living in Liverpool?
  • When do you expect to arrive at your accommodation – what day and approximate time? If you don’t know yet, please say that and let us know when you do.
  • At what airport will you arrive and have you booked an airport pick up, if you are eligible?
  • Would you like us to provide an initial food package on or after your arrival?
  • Would you like us to provide a kitchen and bedding pack on or after your arrival?

Please provide us with the above information as soon as possible by email to us at

Please note we require a minimum of four days’ notice in advance of your arrival to arrange for the food, bedding and kitchen packs to be delivered.

Please also send any queries about the isolation period to this email address in the first instance.

The University has also provided further information on self-isolating which you may find useful.

We will have a team of volunteers in place to help you through your self-isolation period but you must let us know so that we can provide you with the support you will need.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us via

Self-isolation food package information

Self-isolation arrival hamper

A selection of essential groceries to last at least 48 hrs.

The hamper will consist of ambient products, which do not require refrigeration. This will aid distribution.

Basic recipe cards could be provide to highlight how products could be used to produce basic meals

The Hamper would consist of the following:

Breakfast items

  • 1 x Loaf of sliced bread
  • 2 x Jam Portions
  • Butter Portions
  • UHT Milk
  • 2 x Individual cereal portion
  • 6 x eggs


  • 500g Pasta
  • 250g Dried Noodles
  • 1 x baked bean snack pot
  • 1 tinned Tuna
  • 1 tinned Chicken
  • 1 x Vegan Cheese sauce sachet
  • 2 x baking potato
  • 1 x Tinned sweetcorn
  • 1 x Tomato pasta sauce
  • 1 x Stir fry vegetable mix
  • 1 x Sweet chilli sauce
  • 1 x Mayonnaise
  • 1 x Butter portions


  • 1 x Flapjack
  • 1 x Chocolate bar
  • 1 x Nutella Portion
  • 2x Granny Smith Apples
  • 2 x Oranges
  • 1 x Banana
  • 1 x Belvita Duo B/Fast Bar
  • 1 x Vegan Crisp


  • 1 litre of bottled water
  • Selection of Tea, coffee, sugar and Hot Choc Sachets
  • 1 x Fruit cordial
  • 2 x Individual fresh fruit juice  


  • 2 x toilet rolls
  • Hand sanitiser
  • Facemask
  • Can opener

Online shopping and food deliveries

Where requested, students have been provided with a food parcel on arrival at their accommodation. We hope the following information will help you in relation to how you can shop online to receive further groceries and other items you may need.

The university is able to provide access to an emergency box of basic groceries if a student is required to isolate and is unable to purchase basic provisions. Boxes cost £25 including delivery and are available to order via the university online shop (LJMU Grocery Box). They will be delivered to isolating students within 24 hours. The boxes contain recipes and ingredients to enable students to cook meals for three days.

The following supermarkets offer food deliveries in Liverpool:

Students who have specific dietary needs, including gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian may also find the food boxes delivered by Morrisons useful.

If you have any issues getting your payment card to work with online shopping orders, you may also wish to consider Iceland and Ocado who also accept payment via PayPal.

If you are looking to order other things, you might find the following websites helpful. Same day and next day delivery is often possible.

There are a number of options to have takeaway food delivered to your accommodation. Some examples include:

Most of the above companies will accept an international credit card (such as Mastercard or Visa).

Please note: the University does not recommend any specific company and is providing this information to help you order things you might need.

If you are unable to shop online or require additional support we have a Team of Accommodation Mentors that can provide advice and support to you if you live in LJMU student accommodation. They can be contacted on

JMSU have a team of Quarantine Volunteers who can provide support with collecting ‘click and collect’ shopping or medical supplies from a Pharmacy. They also have a team of buddies that are there to help you settle into life at University and put you in touch with other students. They can both be contacted at

Our International Student Advisers are dedicated to helping you settle into life in Liverpool and the University. They are experienced in dealing with the kinds of issues that international students may face when moving to a new country, such as visa renewal, accommodation, financial issues and the challenges that can arise when you are settling into a new home.

If you are experiencing any difficulties at all, please contact an adviser:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162


Registering with the police

Some international students who are here for six months or more are required to register with Merseyside Police upon their arrival in the UK. Please note that this is dependent on your nationality. You will see on your temporary Biometric Information Document (BID) if you need to register, where is should state “POL REGSITRATION”. You are usually given seven days to register, however, Merseyside Police are aware that due to COVID-19 some students will need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK; and that some students will be arriving later in the semester. Because of this they are being flexible and allowing students longer than seven days to register. You should complete your registration as soon as possible.

You will need to produce:

  • your passport
  • two passport-sized photos
  • your LJMU Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
  • details of where you are living in Liverpool (full address)
  • the complete registration fee.

If you are unsure, please contact the International Student Advisers

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162


To register with Merseyside Police you must make an appointment online.

Your appointment to register will be at Overseas Visitor Registration Office located in Wavertree Police Station, L7 1RJ. YOU MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT BEFORE ATTENDING.

Not sure if you need to register?

Check your visa ‘vignette’ (the sticker in your passport). If it has ‘Police Registration’ or ‘Register with Police’ in seven days of entry’ you will need to register - more information is available on the GOV UK website.

What happens after police registration?

The police will give you your ‘Police Registration Certificate’. Keep this safe and use it when you re-enter the UK or apply to renew your student visa. If you are asked to produce it, you have 48 hours to do so.

Reporting a change in circumstance after you have completed your police registration

During your studies at LJMU and while you are resident in the UK, you must report any changes of circumstances to Merseyside Police within seven days. Every time you change address, please inform your local police station within seven days of moving to your new accommodation so that they can update your Certificate. Again you must request an appointment with Merseyside Police by booking an appointment online.

If you have any queries about police registration, call +44 (0)151 777 5407. Please note: you will not be able to make an appointment over the telephone.

Changes in circumstances could include:

  • Any new visa or extensions of stay granted by the Home Office
  • Change of address
  • New passport
  • Any changes to your course of study or university
  • Change of marital status

What happens when you complete your degree/leave the UK?

You will need to return your Registration Certificate to Merseyside Police once you have completed your studies at LJMU. You will also need to state when you will be leaving the UK. Certificates should be posted to: Wavertree Road Police Station, Wavertree Road, Liverpool, L7 1RJ.

Fraud and scams

We have been made aware of cases where our international students are being targeted by scammers who say they are from a legitimate organisation, such as the Tax Office, HM Revenue and Customs, or the UK Home Office. They then demand money over the phone usually for payment of a ‘fine’. This is usually around £1000-2000 but it may be more or less.

Most recently we have been made aware of a scam involving Chinese students, where the scammers say they are calling from the Chinese Embassy.

The caller may appear legitimate as they may have some information about you, such as your name, address and passport details. They may also give you their contact details, which can seem legitimate if you check online. They will probably be very persistent and demanding and may even threaten you (with arrest, deportation etc) if you do not comply. They may also contact you via WhatsApp and other channels.

Please be aware that NO legitimate organisation will demand immediate payment from you over the phone. Please do not hand over any credit/debit card or bank details to anyone calling you.

Scammers do not want you to hang up on the call, they are very persistent. If you receive any calls you are not sure about, please do hang up and contact the International Advice Team on for further advice.

Read more on the UKCISA website.

Useful contact numbers

Please see some key university contact details which you may find useful during your studies. 

Making and receiving phone calls in the UK

Any students who will be self-isolating and have requested a food parcel from LJMU will be provided with a UK SIM card in the parcel. You can add credit to this sim card through PayPal to enable you to activate your card and make and receive calls.

You may also wish to purchase a sim card with credit on it and some top up vouchers in a UK airport when you arrive. WH Smith would usually have these for sale and be able to provide you with top up voucher codes for future use. Some SIM cards do not require you to have credit on to be able to receive calls. Check with the network provider.

Once you are no longer self-isolating, you can easily top up your credit in supermarkets, corner shops and service providers' stores (you will find many in the city centre and near to your accommodation).

You can also purchase Skype credit in many currencies, which means you can make outgoing calls/texts very cheaply.

If you do not have a UK phone number and need to provide one for online grocery deliveries whilst self-isolating, you may be able to give the phone number of your accommodation reception, but please check with the reception team. It would be a good idea to let them know if you are expecting a delivery too so they are aware.

Engagement Monitoring Policy

LJMU is required by UVK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to monitor the engagement of all Tier 4 (General) Students or Student visa international students studying at the University. As an international student you will be required to confirm your engagement at the University via monitoring exercises that take place throughout the academic year.

These include:

  • Enrolment: You must complete the enrolment process at the start of each academic year. The deadline for completion is within 10 days of the start date for your programme.
  • Census points: Each month, your engagement with scheduled teaching and learning activities will be monitored through your engagement with lectures, submission of work, assessments, etc.

LJMU has a responsibility to report to UK Visas and Immigration any student who:

  • Fails to enrol or complete their attendance confirmation.
  • Withdraws from their programme of study.
  • Has any significant changes to their circumstances.

Access the International Student Engagement Policy

Requesting further assistance from LJMU

If you require any help from the University during our standard office hours (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm) send an email to someone will get back to you the same day. If possible, please include a telephone number where you can be reached. You can also contact this team if you need any help or support to arrange online shopping deliveries to your hall from supermarkets. JMSU will be supporting this process with student volunteers.

In an emergency situation outside of these hours, (for example, over a weekend) you can email and assistance will be provided to you. If you need to speak to someone in a real emergency situation, our University emergency telephone number is +44 (0)151 231 2222. This is manned 24 hours a day and for use in an emergency situation only for those who have arrived in Liverpool and require emergency help outside of the normal office hours (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm). They will be unable to help students with queries who have not yet travelled to Liverpool. Students based overseas should continue to liaise with the department helping them (Registry Service, International Admissions, International Recruitment, International Advice and Wellbeing, Accommodation Team as an example).

If you are staying in a hall of residence, we recommend you asking at your hall reception for assistance as often they will be able to provide help and advice to solve your problem outside of University office hours, for example, if you have requested a bedding pack and cannot find it in your room.

If you have any queries relating to collecting your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) or registering with the police please contact

Settling into university life

Student support services

Our International Student Advisers are dedicated to helping you settle into life in Liverpool and the University. They are experienced in dealing with the kinds of issues that international students may face when moving to a new country, such as visa renewal, accommodation, financial issues and the challenges that can arise when you are settling into a new home.

To contact an adviser:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162


English language support

To help you develop your English language, the university provides regular classes and drop-ins with specialist language tutors. Our classes and drop-ins are free and informal and will give you the opportunity to ask questions, practise your use of English, and get advice on improving your written assignments. For more information, please see the English for Academic Purposes section on the skills@ljmu webpages or email


Library services

As well as providing a wide range of study spaces and resources, the library offers expert help in developing the skills required to do well in your academic studies. At all of the university libraries, staff are on hand to offer advice and training on literature searching, research and referencing, and use of IT. The library also provides seminars and one-to-one guidance on a range of academic skills, including study skills, maths and statistics, and English for academic purposes.

Find out more about the support available in the libraries or contact Library Services.

To see the seminar timetables and to make an appointment with a skills tutor or email

Counselling services

LJMU’s free counselling service is open to all students and is designed to help you through any personal difficulties you may be experiencing and also manage the demands and pressures of academic life.

The counselling service is open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday throughout the year and offers both group workshops as well as individual counselling sessions.

The University’s counselling service subscribes to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) Codes and LJMU is an Organisational Member of the BACP.

LJMU’s counselling service is based in the Aquinas Building, adjacent to the Aldham Robarts Library.

To contact the counselling team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3110


Support for students with disabilities

For further details on the range of support available to international students with disabilities, please contact the Disability Team:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3164/3165


If you become ill or have a temporary disability while studying in the UK, emergency funding may be available in certain circumstances. Contact the Disability Team for details.

Spiritual support

The University has facilities for quiet meditation, prayer and contemplation in each of its three campuses: City, Mount Pleasant and IM Marsh. The quiet spaces in Mount Pleasant, the Henry Cotton Building and IM Marsh are designed to be multi-faith. Henry Cotton also offers an additional room for Muslim prayers.

More information on spirituality or email:

LJMU’s Spiritual Support Team offers confidential, non-judgmental pastoral care and support to students and staff of all beliefs and backgrounds.

For more information, please contact the Student Advice Team: Call: +44 (0)151 231 3109 Email:

Financial matters

Tuition fees

Remember, your annual tuition fees are payable in full on enrolment or you can choose to pay 50% upon enrolment, with the balance paid in full, four months later. The University accepts debit and credit card payments using Maestro, Visa or MasterCard. You can pay online.

Please note that the University does not accept payments by cash or cheque (including bankers drafts).

If you have any questions about your tuition fees or need any advice about paying your tuition fees, living costs or working out a budget, please contact the Student Advice Team:

Arrangements for sponsored students

If you are receiving sponsorship for your studies, you must have written confirmation of this, on official headed paper. If your fees are being paid for by family members this is not classified as sponsorship, you will still be classified as self-funding in this instance.

Please note:

  • If your fees are being paid by a sponsor (for example an employer or embassy) you must provide clear evidence of this in writing at the beginning of your programme and at the beginning of each subsequent year. Please note that any sponsor must normally have a UK address and postcode. If applicable the letter should state the maximum amount that sponsorship covers in British Pounds (GBP£)
  • A financial guarantee is not a sponsorship letter
  • You will be expected to pay your tuition fees in full if your sponsor fails to make a payment


Money transfers

There are a number of methods you can use to transfer money:

  • Traveller’s cheques: A safe and easy way of bringing money because unlike cash, you can replace traveller’s cheques if they get lost or stolen. They can also be paid directly into a UK bank account
  • Banker’s drafts/cashier’s cheque: You can buy one from your home bank and bring it with you. Only bring Sterling (UK £) drafts; they are quick to clear and free to pay into your UK bank account
  • Telegraphic bank to bank transfer: This can be the cheapest way of transferring money but you will have to wait until you have opened your UK bank account. This type of transfer can take up to four working days and there are transaction/exchange charges
  • Credit/debit card from your home country: You may be able to withdraw funds from an existing credit or debit card to pay into your UK bank account if your card is accepted in the UK. You may be charged for using your cards in the UK
  • Personal cheque from your home country bank account: This is a slow method of money transfer and you will have to wait up to 6 weeks until the cheque clears and you can withdraw the money

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

What happens if you don’t pay your tuition fees?

The penalties for non-payment of tuition fees are very serious. Ultimately, you will lose your place on your course and the University will inform the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that you are no longer a student at LJMU.

Opening a UK bank account

It is important that you open a bank account as soon as possible to ensure that your money is kept safely.

The Pound (£) is the central unit of currency in the UK. £1 (one pound) is divided into 100 pence; the coins in use are 1p, 2p, 5p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2. The notes in use are £5, £10, £20 and £50. A useful currency converter tool can be found on this website:

Usually branch opening hours are from 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, although bigger branches may open outside these hours. Some banks also offer customer services phone numbers outside these times as well. The main high street banks - NatWest, Barclays, Lloyds TSB, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Halifax - all have branches in Liverpool city centre.

In addition to the list of high street banks provided above, students will also be able to apply for an account with HSBC. HSBC have advised us they are happy to accept LJMU proof of student status letters. However, you will still need to visit the branch with identification and address documents once instructed to do so by HSBC.

You will need to provide documentation in order to open your account, such as:

  • Identification (ID) in the form of a passport and visa/BRP (if you are a non-EU student).
  • Verification of your UK and home address.
  • Evidence of your student status: you can get this letter by going to MyLJMU and clicking on My Services and then Letter Request. You can do this a maximum of three times. A letter will be generated instantly for you. Please check direct with your bank what documentation they will need to open your account.
  • Most banks are currently opening accounts through their online banking website/apps. Please check before travelling to a branch.
  • When you first open your bank account, they may ask you where your funds will be coming from. Your bank may also charge for accepting payments from abroad.
  • Whatever bank you choose, they will probably offer you a ‘basic bank’ account, which allows you to:
  • Pay money directly into your bank account.
  • Withdraw your money at a cash point (ATM).
  • Pay bills by standing order or direct debit.
  • You may also be issued with a cheque book, but this depends on the bank

Please note:

  • You cannot get credit or an overdraft on a basic account
  • If you change your address it is important that you inform the bank as soon as possible
  • Due to the pandemic most UK bank branches continue to operate on a limited service in order to ensure the safety of their customers and staff. Subsequently most banks cannot offer account opening services through a branch.
  • Guidance for students completing account opening formalities in branches:
  • Students should only go to a branch once advised to do so
  • Students coming from overseas must only visit a branch once any ‘quarantine/self-isolation period’ has expired and NOT before
  • Once advised to visit a branch students will probably need to book an appointment to complete the account opening process
  • Overseas students will be required to present a valid passport, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and a Proof of Student Status Letter from the University, available in My LJMU
  • UK banks expect all customers to wear face makes (unless exempt). Customers will only be seen individually and are advised to attend the branch on their own.

Council tax

Council tax is set by local authorities in the UK to help pay for services such as the police, fire brigade and rubbish collection. To be eligible for Council tax exemption you must be on a full-time course for a period of more than 24 weeks. Your eligibility will also depend on who you live with. Council tax exemption forms can be requested through My Services.

More details about council tax.

Islamic banking

If you would like to open a bank account in accordance with Sharia principles, please check your bank’s website for details. Some mainstream banks do offer accounts that meet these principles and there are a few specialist banks that operate in accordance with them. For more details go to the British Bankers’ Association website.

Money management

Managing money can be a challenge for all students; it’s not something that is unique to international students. For most of you this will be the first time you have managed your money and in addition to this everything is in a different currency.  It’s really important you draw up a budget that you can reasonably stick to as soon as possible. Budgeting is essential not only to ensure you are happy and living comfortably but additionally teaches you skills you can apply when you leave university and are working in your chosen career!

This is why we have teamed up with Blackbullion which has a range of money management lessons, tips and ideas to help you on this journey.  

It is available free of charge to all students and staff, just register with your Liverpool John Moores University email address.



About healthcare

Most migrants plus their accompanying dependants who come to the UK for a stay of more than six months will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of their visa application. The IHS is currently £300 per student and each dependant per year of leave. This entitles you to use free health services under the National Health Services, although you may be required to pay for some services such as prescriptions and dental treatment.

Please note: You can’t ‘opt out’ of paying the IHS even if you have private medical insurance.

For further information please go to the UKCISA website.

If you have any questions, about healthcare services and charges in the UK, please email:

Registering with a doctor

You are advised to register with a doctor as soon as possible after you arrive in Liverpool. Don’t wait until you are ill. By registering you can get an appointment and urgent treatment when you need it. Once you are in Liverpool, you can find a GP in your local neighbourhood by visiting the NHS website.

If you have any queries about how to register, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Any LJMU staff and students with COVID-19 symptoms can book a test here in Liverpool. The test centre is open 9am-5pm each day, with results available via text message within 24 hours.

Health insurance

However long your course, it is recommended that you obtain additional health insurance prior to travelling to the UK. Your policy should cover medical costs plus any additional possible costs resulting from illness (such as lost fees if you are unable to complete your course, and the cost of returning to your home country for treatment). Please check that your health insurance covers any pre-existing medical conditions as you are likely not to be covered under the NHS.

Prescription charges

If your doctor prescribes you medicine you will usually have to pay a prescription charge (£9.15 from April 2020). If you are receiving ongoing treatment it may be worth your while getting a Prescription Payment Certificate, which costs £29.65 for three months and £105.90 for 12 months. The Certificate covers all prescription charges during that period.

Dental treatment

You must pay for the cost of any dental treatment you receive in the UK. The cost varies depending on whether you are registered with an NHS or a private dentist. Dental treatment can be very expensive, so you should check the cost before embarking on any course of treatment.

Immigration and visas

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) collection

If you apply for your visa overseas, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from a designated post office in the UK as soon as possible after your arrival in Liverpool.

Your temporary visa, known as a Biometric Immigration Document (or BID), will be valid for up to 90 days prior to the start date for your course (or seven days before your intended date of travel, whichever is later) and you should use this to travel to the UK. You can specify the post office that your BRP will be delivered to by either completing the field for the postcode of your residential address, or that of the University (also known as your ‘sponsor address’).

Please note: LJMU will not take delivery of your BRP, this will be sent to the designated post office. The post offices are aware that some students will need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK and that there may be a short delay in the BRP being collected.

If you do not travel to the UK within the 90 days specified on your temporary visa, you will have to apply for a new BID and you may need to pay for this. If you have any questions about your BRP collection, please contact the International Advice Team on

It is really important that you check your BRP and make sure that all the information on it is correct. If you notice any mistakes, contact International Advice as soon as possible:

Your BRP expiry date should give you enough time to finish your studies at LJMU. Students on both undergraduate and taught postgraduate degree programmes lasting 12 months or more are given an additional four months on their BRP after the completion date for their course. For example, if your course is due to finish in May 2020, you should have a BRP until September 2020.

If you don’t think you have been given the correct expiry date, please email as soon as possible. 

Applying to extend your visa

From 5 October 2020, in order to apply for the Student Route visa you must obtain points for having:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – 50 points – your CAS is issued by LJMU.
  • Sufficient money to cover your tuition fees and living costs (or evidence of official sponsorship) - 10 points.
  • English Language Requirement – 10 points.

Apply online: You must apply to extend before your current BRP expires. All Student Route in-country extension applications and out-of-country applications must now be made online. Applications for dependants applying alongside the main applicant as well as separately should also complete the relevant online application.

Due to new academic progression rules that came into force during 2016, it is only possible for Tier 4 (General) students or Student Route students to apply to extend their visa in the UK in certain circumstances. Please contact the International Student Advice Team ( for further information.

Your application date is the day you submit and pay for your application. You must apply before your current BRP expires, although you are given further time in which to post your documents to UK Visas and Immigration or attend your appointment if you are going in person.

Due to the Covid-19 crisis, students applying for their visas in the UK will not be required to make an in person appointment once they submit their application. UKVCAS have changed the way they process visa applications by reusing biometrics for many applicants and will be directing students to use a new IDV app. You should still register with UKVCAS and create a UKVCAS account, you will be directed to do this when you complete your on-line application. You will receive an email from UKVCAS advising you on what to do next. Please do not to download the app or try to make an appointment until you receive an email from UKVCAS inviting you to do so. If you have any questions please contact our International Advice Team on

New Immigration System

The UK Government is introducing a new Points based immigration system. The Tier 4 student route will be replaced by the new student route.

For EEA nationals this will take effect from 1 January 2021. For all other nationals this will apply to any visa applications made from 9am on 5 October 2020.

For a summary of the most important changes, please see the details of the new student immigration route.

If you have any questions about this please contact

Points-based system: workshops

We advise all students to enrol on a student visa workshop before submitting their applications to ensure that they are correct. It is really important to do this as you could face having your visa application refused if you do not submit the correct documents. You will receive emails about these workshops and how to book onto a place.

If you require an ATAS (QCF Level 7 or above), you should apply as soon as possible. For further information visit the GOV UK website.

Information for sponsored students

If you are being sponsored, you must provide a letter from your official financial sponsor to show details of your sponsorship. If you have dependents with you, the letter must also mention this.

To check what qualifies as an official financial sponsor, read the relevant section of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

If you are only being partially sponsored, for example, to cover your tuition fees, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient funds to meet UKVI funding requirements for a Tier 4 application.

Financial requirements

If you are a self-sponsored (or partially sponsored) student, you will need to be able to demonstrate you have enough money in your (or your parents) bank account in order to make a successful Tier 4 application.

Currently, maintenance fees for living costs for the main applicant are £1,015 per month, which is capped at nine months. So if you are coming to study for a course of 9 months or more, you will need to demonstrate you have £9,135 (£1,015 x 9) plus your full first year’s tuition fee. If you have paid any of your tuition fees to LJMU, and this is either written on your CAS or on an official receipt, you can deduct this from your bank account. From 1st January 2021 you will be required to demonstrate £1,023 living costs per month, which for nine months would be £9,207, in addition to your tuition fees.

The money needs to be held in your account for a minimum of 28 days. The financial evidence you use should be no more than 31 days old at the time you apply.

If you are eligible to bring dependants with you, you must be able to show you have £680 per dependant per month for their living costs for a maximum of nine months (£6,120).

Remember, you may face severe consequences if you overstay and do not get a BRP extension in time.

For confidential advice and guidance, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162

Graduate Immigration Route

New Graduate Route Visa (Post Study Work Visa)

What is the new Graduate Route Visa?

The UK government have published in their Points Based System Immigration System document a proposal to introduce a new Graduate Route Visa in 2021. The Graduate Route will allow successful applicants to stay in the UK for a period of 2 or 3 years after completing studies to work and to look for work

How do you get the Graduate Route Visa?

It is not automatically granted. To obtain the Graduate Route Visa, you will need to meet all the requirements and apply for the visa in the UK once the visa route opens.

The UK Government has stated that they aim to open the route to application from summer 2021. We expect full details to be announced in Spring 2021.

How much will the Graduate Route Visa Cost?

As yet, the government has not announced the exact fee for the Graduate Route visa. However, we would expect the cost to be announced in Spring 2021.

The government has announced, however, that applicants will also have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (I H S) for each year of the visa to be issued. The I H S will be at the normal, higher rate and not the reduced student rate.

What are the requirements to apply for a Graduate Route Visa?

From the information available so far, the following are the main requirements to be able to apply for the Graduate Route Visa.

  • You must have successfully completed an undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral degree at Liverpool John Moores University (or any other Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance with the Student sponsorship requirements)
  • Your studies must have been completed in full while you were in the UK (except for periods of permitted, required study abroad or distance learning due to Covid-19)
  • Your studies must have been the same as that for which your most recent Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) was issued
  • You must have completed your studies in summer 2021 or later
  • You must apply in the UK, and have a valid Tier 4 or Student visa at the time of application

There will be no financial or maintenance requirements for the Graduate Route Visa application and satisfactory completion of your studies will be evidence of your English language ability.

How long will the Graduate Route Visa be for?

The Graduate Route Visa will be issued for 2 years for successful applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, and 3 years for successful applicants who completed a doctoral degree (eg, PhD).

What kind of work can you do with a Graduate Route Visa?

You can do most kinds of work with a Graduate Route Visa. There is no minimum qualification or income requirement for the work. You do not require sponsorship from an employer, and you will be free to change jobs as and when necessary.

You will not be able to work as a doctor or dentist in training, nor as a professional sportsperson.

Can you bring your family as dependants with the Graduate Route Visa?

Only graduates who already have their family members with them in the UK as dependants will be able to have their dependents apply. Dependants must apply at the same time as the graduate.

Can you study with a Graduate Route Visa?

Study at a Student Route Sponsor institution will not be permitted. This would exclude studying for example, a master’s degree at most UK universities while in the UK with a Graduate Route visa.

Other study at non Student Route Sponsor institutions will be permitted.

Is there any else you need to know?

If you have been in receipt of Official Financial Sponsorship from a government, you will need to obtain a letter confirming permission from that government for you to apply to the Graduate Route

You can only have the Graduate Route visa once. It is not possible to extend the visa, but it will be possible to switch to another type of visa from the Graduate Route.

If you later wish to apply to switch to the new Skilled Worker Route visa (which will replace Tier 2 in 2021), you can do so if you have a Skilled Worker Route employer who offers sponsorship to you.

As with holders of the Student Visa, holders of the Graduate Route visa applying to switch to the Skilled Worker Route can be considered as ‘new entrants’ for Skilled Worker sponsorship, which means the minimum salary offer to be sponsored can be the lower minimum salary new entrants rate

Disclaimer Please note: The information available here is based on the current information available from the UK Government. We will update our website when full details are announced.

Working in the UK and Liverpool

Part-time work

While you are enrolled as a student at LJMU it is a condition of your visa that you must be able to support yourself financially (and your family, if relevant) without having to rely on earnings from part-time work. This means that you must have the independent financial means to pay your fees plus all your living costs for the duration of your course. However, we recognise that many students want to work while they’re studying as it is an excellent way of developing language and other professional skills. So here is some advice on what you can and can’t do while you are in the UK.

Most international students studying with us on a degree level course or above are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. Your BRP stamp will tell you if there are any restrictions on you working in the UK. If you breach these conditions you may be fined, detained and/or removed from the UK.

More information about your right to work, finding a job, and applying for a work visa after your studies is available at the UKCISA website.

Unitemps at Liverpool John Moores University is our very own on-campus recruitment agency, providing opportunities for our students to access paid work in support of their study that will strengthen their CV, their employability skills and their organisational awareness. In line with LJMU’s role as a civic university, Unitemps will also simplify routes to accessing degree-level talent for Liverpool City Region businesses. To register, please visit Unitemps.

Students from outside the European Economic Area

If you are a student from outside the EEA then you can usually work in the UK if your course is 6 months or more, but you need to check your BRP to see if you do have permission. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours, such as those who are studying below degree level.

Remember, as an international student it is important that you:

  • Check your entry clearance sticker in your passport to see how many hours you are allowed to work during term-time. Except in the case of an agreed work placement or internship organised in conjunction with the University, international students must not work for more than 20 hours per week during term time; some students are only allowed to work 10 hours
  • Do not engage in business or self-employment
  • Do not apply for or fill a permanent full-time vacancy

You can find out more information about working in the UK, before and after your studies in UKCISA Guidance notes.

Students from the European Economic Area

If you are a student from the European Economic Area (EEA) you currently do not need permission to work in the UK and there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work. The countries of the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, the UK plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Swiss Nationals are not part of the EU or EEA but Swiss nationals have had similar rights to those who are members of the EEA since 2002.

The immigration rules for EEA nationals will change on 01 January 2021.

National Minimum Wage rates

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. Different rates apply depending on your age. Find out the current NMW.

National Insurance numbers

Everyone who works in the UK needs to have a National Insurance number, including international and EU students who want to work part-time during their studies. It is a unique personal reference number that is used to collect your national insurance contributions.

To get a national insurance number you must be actively looking for or started work already. You then need to call the National Insurance Number Helpline (0800 141 2075) to speak to an advisor who will take you through an application form over the telephone. The Helpline is open between 8am and 6pm. You will then receive a letter inviting you to attend an appointment in a local job centre.

You will need to bring the following documents with you to this meeting:

  • Your passport
  • Evidence of where you live (such as a tenancy agreement, or letters addressed to you)
  • Your LJMU student ID card
  • Evidence that you are working (such as an employment contract) or evidence that you are looking for work (such as letters from employers or if you have registered with employment agencies)

If you have any questions, please contact the International Student Advisers:

Call: +44 (0)151 231 3673 or +44 (0)151 231 3162