Albert Sidney Beckham (1897 - 1964)
- Beckham attended Lincoln University, Ohio State University and New York University.
- He specialised in educational and war psychology, being the first Black person to hold the title of ‘School Psychologist’.
- Beckham taught on all the psychology courses at Howard University, Washington DC, and founded the first psychology laboratory there.
- In his later years, he taught as a Professor of War Psychology at Wilberforce University, Ohio.
- Beckham is remembered as one of the first psychologists to research black intelligence: he showed that black children's IQ was consistent with national averages.
Text: www.apa.org. 2021. No page title. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/ethnicity-health/psychologists/albert-sidney-beckham. [Accessed 06 June 2021].
Image: © American Psychological Association
Author: Ellie Glover (2021) LJMU Student
Maintained by EDIpedia@ljmu.ac.uk