Students chatting

Disability support

Disabled students

We offer coordinated support for students with disabilities. We want to help you get the most from your studies.

We provide a coordinated approach to supporting current and prospective disabled students, providing advice and guidance to students on how to access the most appropriate study provisions. If you’re a disabled student Liverpool John Moores University is committed to supporting your independence and will make reasonable adjustments to help you concentrate on your academic studies. 

You can make an appointment directly:

Phone: 0151 231 3164/3165

Visit: you can book appointments in the Student Zones at any of the University libraries. These are confidential and take place in meeting rooms. State which location is the most convenient for you when booking an appointment and whereever possible we will accommodate your preferred choice of location.

When should I inform you about a disability?

You can inform us about your disability and discuss your support needs at any time, but this is best done before you start your course. This will ensure that you are provided with suitable provisions and adaptations from the beginning of your course. Students who are already accessing support and have concerns or questions about the support they are receiving should contact us directly to discuss any issues they may have.

What will happen in my appointment with you and who will I see?

You will meet with a Disability Adviser for an informal discussion about your support requirements. This may be based on support that you have accessed for previous studies, or support you feel will be beneficial to you now. If you have a disability or medical condition, you will be asked to provide medical evidence from your G.P, hospital consultant or Educational Psychologist Report. We will also explain how to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances, which may fund the majority if your support requirements.

Do I have to tell the University about my disability?

No, it is your right to decide. That said, if any disability or health condition may affect you on your course then we would positively encourage you to inform us. Informing us will ensure that the appropriate support or ‘reasonable adjustments’ are put in to place to try to reduce any barriers you may face due to your disability, health or mental health condition or specific learning difficulty.
We positively welcome disclosure from students at any point during their time here and we want students to feel confident in discussing details with staff throughout the University. Find out more about the University's disclosure policy.

I have a disability but do not require support, what do I need to do?

We recommend that you come along and speak to us to ensure you are aware of the range of support available to you. If after this meeting you still do not want to access support then we will document this on your record. If at a future date you would like to discuss any potential support requirements, you should contact us as soon as possible and we will be happy to discuss your needs.

I have a blue badge. How do I arrange parking in the university?

You should contact us and we may be able to arrange a parking permit; you will need to provide evidence that you have a Blue Badge.

How do I organise special arrangements for my examinations?

If you are entitled to any kind of exam support, including extra time or the use of a scribe or a PC, you will need to see us to discuss this. They will provide you with an Exam Provision Request Form; the team will be able to advise you where to submit this and what supporting documents you will need.

I am having financial difficulties - who should I contact?

You should contact the Funding Team who are also based in Student Advice and Wellbeing. They can advise you about discretionary funding such as the Access to Learning Fund. Contact them on 0151 904 6056/6057 or email

I want to talk to someone about benefits I am getting or could be entitled to. Who should I contact?

The Disability Advice Team will be able to refer you to the appropriate Adviser. Alternatively you can make an appointment at any of the Student Zones or by calling the Student Advice and Wellbeing office direct on 0151 904 6056/6057 or email

I require adapted accommodation. How do I arrange this?

You should contact the Accommodation Office to discuss any accessibility issues when you’re applying to LJMU. This will ensure that any necessary adjustments to the accommodation can be considered before you move in. You can email them at: or call on: 0151 231 4166. Student Advice and Wellbeing also has a specialist accommodation adviser. Contact The Disability Advice Team to find out more.