Practice Education in Social Work
Level 7, 30 Credits
This course will give you the knowledge and skills required to plan and deliver learning opportunities for assessed competence in social work practice.
The Social Work Task Force made the following Recommendations in their 'One Year On' report in December 2010:
“All (social work) students must be taught and assessed by qualified and experienced social workers. Non social work professionals can continue to contribute to teaching and assessing students but cannot undertake the final assessment themselves. From October 2013 all practice educators of social work students should be registered social workers and demonstrate that they have met the new practice education benchmark standards. The standards set out requirements at two stages, recognising the different levels of complexity and responsibility in teaching, assessing and supervising students.”
This course is a combined programme, covering both stage 1 and 2, allowing you to support and supervise social work students undertaking first and final placements.
The year-long module includes five taught days for theory teaching and two recall days at LJMU. There are two intakes per year: one in the summer and one in the autumn. Contact the module leader for details.
The cost for this CPD module is £915.
You will receive individual tutorial support throughout the course. While completing this course, you will need to supervise a pre-qualifying social work student in order to complete this award. You must also be observed twice giving practice education supervision.
There are five taught days focused on theory and two recall days, delivered at the University.
This module will enable you to plan effective learning opportunities within your organisation.
You will be able to:
- critically evaluate factors that influence the development of an effective and appropriate learning environment
- apply theories of adult learning, assessment and supervision to practice
- critically analyse models of supervision and evaluation that meet agency guidelines and safeguard and protect service users and their carers
- critically reflect upon your own professional development and performance as a practice educator
Your formative assessment will be facilitated through regular feedback and reflection in class-based exercises and tutorials as well as from direct observations of your professional practice.
Completing this module will enable you to meet Domain A, B, C and D of the Practice Education Professional Standard for Social Work, the College of Social Work.
You will be assessed via:
- the production of a practice curriculum and a placement report
- a 3,000 word reflective assignment
- Applicants must be registered social workers with a minimum of 3 years experience in a social care setting or other related environment
- Applicants must have been registered for at least 2 of the 3 years experience
This Continuing Professional Development programme is stand-alone and is not within a wider award framework
How to apply
Please apply using the online application form selecting Postgraduate Taught from the Level of Entry drop down.
Further details are available in our CPD courses for healthcare professionals brochure.
Faculty Admissions Team
Faculty of Education, Health and Community
Liverpool John Moores University
79 Tithebarn Street
Liverpool L2 2ER
T: 0151 231 5829
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.