I am a Senior Lecturer in Strategic Management at Liverpool Business School. Previously, I have also held academic posts at Loughborough University and Royal Holloway, University of London.
I have two broad research interests and invite PhD proposals in these areas:
Strategic decision making: How strategic decisions are made in different contexts and how they lead to the success of a firm is my primary research interest. Some of the questions I ask are:
• Who should be involved in strategic decision making?
• How much information is needed to make a strategic decision?
• How much strategic decision making process should be left to ‘gut’ feeling?
• How to connect strategic decisions with the available resources and capabilities (the most challenging aspect of decision making)
Competitive dynamics: I am mainly interested in game theory and study of rivalry among firms in oligopolies and free markets. Some of the questions I ask are:
• How to blindsight competitors, especially when you are equally matched
• How small competitors take on comparatively large-sized organisations
• How to avoid competitive moves of direct rivals
Royal Holloway University of London, UK, PhD
Federation University, Australia, MBA
Qaiyum S, Wang C. 2018. Analysing Quantitative Data Saunders M, Townsend K. How to Keep your Research Project on Track Insights from When Things Go Wrong Edward Elgar Publishing 978 1 78643 575 0 Publisher Url
Qaiyum S, Wang C. 2017. Analysing Quantitative Data Saunders M, Townsend K. How to keep your research project on track: Insights from when things go wrong Edward Elgar. Cheltenham UK Publisher Url
Qaiyum S, Wang C. Rent generation mechanism of first-order and second-order capabilities: integrating resource based view and dynamic capabilities view framework The 38th Annual Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference Publisher Url
Qaiyum S, Wang C. Examining strategic ambidexterity as an antecedent of functional and cross-functional ambidexterity. British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference Publisher Url
Qaiyum S, Wang C. Strategy Processes in Indian High-Tech Firm: An Empirical Examination 31st annual British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference
Engagement & Impact
Programme in Skills of Teaching to Inspire Learning. 2016
Associate Fellow, Higher Education Academy. 2016
Best Paper in Strategy, British Academy of Management. 2016
Membership of professional bodies:
Ordinary Membership, British Academy of Management.