Support for final year students
*** Announcements ***
Grad Café for final year students - Open every Thursday* until the end of July
Final Year students – we’re not ready for you to leave us so we’ve made a Grad Café just for you!
We want to Stay Connected and help you with your next steps, whether you are sorted and want to come and share your LJMU experience with us, or you don’t know where to start and would rather not think about it then we have the place for you - the Grad Café .
When is the Grad Café open?
Every Thursday between 11am – 1.00pm, from 28 April until the end of July. Please note*: the Grad Café will be closed on 2 June (Bank holiday) and 16 June.
Where is the Grad Café ?
The Grad Café is taking place at the Careers Zone, Student Life Building. Don’t forget to bring your student card for access.
At the Grad Café you can:
- Have a free coffee on us!
- Join us for an informal ‘what’s next’ chat and support to find relevant opportunities
- Get help with CVs, applications, interviews and any part of the recruitment process
- Help us shape our Graduate Support and tell us what you need
- Connect with Unitemps and LJMU Graduate Futures offers
- Chat to other grads and share you experiences of job hunting and the graduate recruitment process!
Want to know more about Grad Café - We’ll be posting on LJMUConnect, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter and in our Careers Zone 24/7 newsletter or just email us at email@example.com. Alternatively, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or access our live chat facility via our website to find out more.
It’s our FREE, UNLIMITED VISITS, FRIENDS FOR LIFE Student Futures offer! Can’t make it? Look out for our regular digital Drop-Ins over the summer – dates to be released soon!
Summer Start-up School - Monday 27 June - Friday 1 July 2022
Are you prepared to take your business idea to the next level? Are you getting ready to launch within the next 6 months? The 2022 Summer Start-up School is a week of group work and one-to-one business advice. Each day begins with an intensive group session in the morning, followed by one-to-ones with the Start-up Hub staff in the afternoon, to ensure that your experience is as relevant as possible to your goals.
*** End of announcements ***
As the end of your time at LJMU approaches, it is important to consider your next steps. Some students may have a job offer in-hand, others may have ideas in mind but have not yet started to apply for jobs. Perhaps you are looking at self-employment opportunities, considering postgraduate study, or you haven’t decided your next move yet. Whatever your interests, preferences or needs, below is a list of some of the ways Student Futures, LJMU's Careers, Employability & Enterprise team, can support you to make a smooth transition from student to professional. Choose what you need and get started …
Get personalised, practical support to research and secure a job
- Book an online, one-to-one appointment with an Adviser to evaluate your options, identify careers that suit your strengths, skills and values, find relevant opportunities, and develop an action plan to help you achieve your career ambitions. You can also get CVs, application forms and personal statements reviewed by our expert advisers and get help with the interview process.
- Check out the career insight/infographic (use the filters in the left navigation) for your programme which provides a summary of career options and read the student and graduates case studies in your school-specific Career and Employability Guide to generate some career ideas.
- Some of the most common areas that students ask for help with concern CVs, application forms and interviews. We’ve created self-service pathways in Careers Zone 24/7 to guide you through the steps needed to master these topics. Once you have worked through the pathways of your choosing, make an appointment with an adviser to have your CV or application reviewed, or to arrange a mock interview (see above for information about how to book an appointment with an Adviser).
- Creating a Winning CV
- Mastering Application Forms
- Preparing for Interviews
Locate opportunities for careers, employability and enterprise skills development
- Explore a business idea, get support to grow a business or freelance via the LJMU Start-Up Hub. Take part in Start-Up Sprint, a 4 week business idea development programme designed and delivered by the LJMU Start-up Hub team for LJMU students and recent LJMU graduates. Each week of the programme covers a different theme to help you develop and test your initial business idea. The Freelance Toolkit is a 4-week business development programme designed specifically for LJMU students and graduates wishing to pursue a freelance career - designers, writers, videographers, sound editors or any other freelance pursuit. This programme is open to all students and graduates but is perfect for any final students looking to launch their freelance career after graduation. You can also come along to Start-Up Hub drop in, which takes place every Tuesday (1.30-3.30pm) and every Thursday (10am-12pm) at the Student Life Building (no booking required, just turn up) or attend Start-Up Club, which takes place on the last Tuesday of every month (4-5pm) at the Start-Up Hub.
- You can also get involved with LCR Founders, a collaborative programme been LJMU and the University of Liverpool supporting students and graduates to explore co-founding as a scalable businesses start up option. Check out the programme of events here.
- Take Career Pulse to assess and develop your confidence to enter the job market. Complete the associated employability skills programme and gain certification.
- Careers and employability events are short, punchy sessions (available both online and in-person) designed to help you understand the possibilities open to you as well as help with all aspects of the graduate recruitment process.
- Check out our blog for the latest careers development and industry intel written by our team of careers experts. The blog also features the job opportunities, information on skills development opportunities and guest articles around graduate recruitment and the evolving careers landscape.
Find employment, start-up and paid work experience opportunities
- LJMU students or new graduates have exclusive access to opportunities for flexible, part-time, paid work through Unitemps at Liverpool John Moores University - our very own on-campus recruitment agency. As well as boosting your finances, assignments strengthen LJMU graduates’ CVs, their employability skills and their organisational awareness.
- We regularly invite employers and recruiters to speak to students both in-person and at online events. Employers talk about opportunities they have available, offer advice about the application process and talk about their own career journey. Recent employers have included the BBC, BAE Systems, Merseyside Police, Ardent, Tutor Trust, Crown Prosecution Service, Pirelli, Boohoo and Matalan. Check out the programme of events here.
- Level 5 and 6 students can apply for a paid, 20-day Discovery Internship working with a local employer. A Discovery internship will help you to progress your employability skills, give you an insight into the day-to-day reality of different roles, boost your CV and earn you some spending money. The internship programmes is open for applications from 28 March 2022 and close for applications at midnight on Sunday 10 April 2022. To apply, you must be registered with Unitemps at LJMU and have completed a 'right to work' check.
- Final year students and recent graduates can apply to join the LJMU Graduate Futures programme and gain experience with some of the Liverpool City Region's most dynamic businesses. This ESF-funded project provides part-time and full time student internships (140 hours), 12 month sandwich placements and 12 month full-time graduate placements. As part of the programme you will also gain relevant industry knowledge, build your professional networks and explore if a career is right for you . Training and support are also provided.
After you graduate
After you graduate from LJMU, you have:
- Lifetime access to personalised advice or career support at any time, supporting you from securing your first graduate role to getting that promotion to changing career direction.
- Support from our Start-Up Hub team should you wish to start a business, grow a business or thrive as a freelancer, for up to five years after graduation.
- Access to Careers Zone 24/7 tools and resources, including the LJMU job board. Set up ‘Graduate Access’ before you leave or contact us after you graduate for an account.
- Free access to annual events and our wider programme of events, workshops and recruitment fairs. Events, which focus on the needs and aspirations of our alumni, will take place both before and after graduation.
Graduate outcomes survey
Taking part in the Graduate Outcomes survey is an essential part of your higher education journey. As the biggest UK annual social survey, the collective graduate voice is powerful and will Directly impact the future of education for prospective students. So join your fellow graduates and be part of the picture of education today.
- Share your graduate success with us and with others through the new Graduate Outcomes Survey and by staying in touch through LJMU Connect, Student Futures LinkedIn and LJMU LinkedIn.
- You’ll be sent an invitation to complete the Graduate Outcomes survey 15 months after you graduate. It captures what you’re doing with your career, what you’re getting out of it, and your thoughts on how LJMU supported you.
Your input will help inspire others, help us tailor our support to you and your fellow alumni so we make a bigger difference and improve teaching and learning for the graduates of the future.
Stay connected with LJMU
The best way to stay in touch is to register for LJMU Connect and follow the Student Futures team and LJMU on LinkedIn.
- Join LJMU Connect, the home of our alumni community. Stay in touch with friends, boost your professional network, find out about social and networking events and reunions, and share your experiences with current students and future graduates.
- Follow the Student Futures LinkedIn page and the LJMU LinkedIn page and stay in touch. Get all the latest updates about LJMU, make connections to help develop your career and search for job opportunities from around the world.