Students drinking coffee

Health and wellbeing

Health and wellbeing

We want you to be happy and healthy during your time here and we offer a lot of support to help you maintain a balance between the pressures of student life, studying and social activities.

If this is the first time that you have lived away from home, it is really important to look after your own physical and mental health. It is all about maintaining a balance between the increasing pressures of student life, studying and social activities.

To help you make the most of your student experience we offer a programme of health and wellbeing activity.

If you are experiencing emotional or psychological difficulties and feel you would benefit from talking to someone, our counselling team can help, offering a free, confidential, one-to-one service. 

We also provide wellbeing advisers to our students. While counselling is focused on providing a safe place for students to talk about their issues, the wellbeing adviser (a professionally registered qualified mental health practitioner with many years' experience) is on hand to offer more practical support in a range of ways, including: confidential advice, guidance and information about issues related to mental wellbeing and mental distress. 

We offer regular support for current students experiencing difficulties with their mental wellbeing and mental distress. A Wellbeing Drop-in Service is available, you do not have to make an appointment to attend. Find out more about the counselling services available and how you can access them on the Intranet (login required).

It is important that you register with a doctor as soon as you arrive at the University. If you need to find the nearest GP to your Halls or other accommodation visit the NHS Choices website or ring NHS advice on 111 (free of charge). The 111 service can also offer a telephone health assessment. 

The Beat Walk-in Service offers a range of healthcare services (including sexual health) and is located in Liverpool city centre.

Help with health costs

Make sure you fill in an HC1 Form to apply for help with health costs such as prescriptions and dental care; they are available in pharmacies and from your GP. Students in full-time education who are under the age of 19 are automatically entitled to full help with health costs (except travel costs, in which case they can apply to the Low Income Scheme). Students aged 19 and over entering higher education generally have access to their own resources and are no longer classed as dependent children. They can apply to the Low Income Scheme, using form HC1, the same as all other adults to see if they qualify for help. For more info visit: NHS Help with Health Costs You can also refer to the Choose Well information to help you decide what kind of medical care you require: 


The Department of Health recommends that all students be fully immunised before arrival at university. You should arrange to see your doctor and make sure you are up-to-date with vaccinations against: Tetanus Polio Diphtheria, Measles Mumps Rubella and Meningitis ACWY.

If you are unsure always ask your doctor for advice.

Ensure that your vaccination records are up to date, if you are not sure please contact your surgery and find out if you have been vaccinated. If you have, then you also need to find out the dates for when you were vaccinated. Please give your new doctor this information when you start university. 


Meningitis is an inflammation of the lining surrounding the brain caused by different organisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi and amoeba. It becomes particularly contagious in situations where large numbers of people live or work closely together (like students at university).

Be aware the vaccination has changed for Meningitis. The Department of Health announced theintroduction of the Meningitis ACWY vaccine in August 2015. Meningitis ACWY vaccine will offer protection against the four groups of meningococcal bacteria A, C, W and Y.  

If you're under 25 years old and have not had a meningitis vaccination, you should contact your doctor to arrange one. Specialist info for students can be found in this NHS info leaflet. You can also find out more information on the Meningitis Research site and Meningitis Now

Students going to university for the first time, including overseas and mature students up to the age of 25, should contact their GP to have the Meningitis ACWY vaccine, ideally before the start of or in the first few weeks of the academic year. Also if you are a first time student, under the age of 25, have still not received the vaccine and are coming back in the next Semester after Christmas break be sure to speak to your GP about getting the Meningitis ACWY vaccine

Further info:


It is recommended that all students between 18 - 25 years old are up to date with their MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccination. If you have not received two doses of the vaccination in the past, please contact your surgery to arrange an appointment.

Finding a dentist in Liverpool

It is vital that you register with a dentist before you need one, as emergency treatment can be expensive and difficult to access. Please contact your local Primary Care Trust (PCT) - it is their responsibility to help you find a local dentist. Call Liverpool PCT on 0800 073 1106. They will give you the address and telephone number of a local NHS Dentist who can provide treatment for you. Emergency dental treatment If you need emergency dental treatment, you should contact NHS Direct on 08454647 and they will be able to direct you to the most appropriate service.

Liverpool University Dental Hospital

The Dental Hospital does not provide routine primary dental care on a long-term basis, and they expect patients to see a general dental practitioner for such treatment. The role of the Dental Hospital is primarily to train dental students, and to provide secondary/specialist care for patients referred by local general dental practitioners.  Referrals for specialist treatment must be made by letter by the patient's own general medical or dental practitioner. 

Bounce Physiotherapy Clinic

As well as providing specialist sports physiotherapy to Olympic and Paralympic athletes, LJMU sport scholarship students and dancers from the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts, our services extend to all students and staff of the University. Our treatments can help conditions such as sports and soft tissue injury, back and neck pain, work-related injuries such as repetitive strain or tennis elbow, post operative conditions such as joint surgery, post fractures and broken bones, and joint problems such as arthritis. To find out more visit the Bounce Physiotherapy Clinic webpages on the Intranet (login required).

Looking after your sexual health

If you are sexually active ideally you want great, safe and healthy sexual relationships. So it’s important to make sure you know about contraception, protection from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and how to maintain good sexual health. If you choose to have sex you have a responsibility to look after yourself and your partner. Alcohol and drugs affect judgment and increase risk-taking behaviour such as unsafe sex. In order to stay healthy and happy it helps if you are informed and prepared beforehand. Liverpool has excellent free, accessible and confidential sexual health services providing free condoms, sexual health and contraception advice and STI screening. Find out more about Liverpool Sexual Health Services.

Alcohol and drugs

Alcohol: drinking (in moderation) is an enjoyable and usually harmless feature of student life. Being responsible with your drinking will help you have a happy and healthy time at university. It is a fact that getting drunk regularly can have potentially serious physical, social and academic effects. 

Drugs: almost half of 16 to 24 year olds in England and Wales have tried drugs at least once, most commonly cannabis. Sometimes it may seem that experimenting with drugs is part of the student experience. But always be aware that there is no shame is saying NO.

Healthy eating

Balancing study, work and a social life can mean that you may find it hard to take time to cook yourself healthy meals Sometimes grabbing a takeaway or a sandwich can seem a tempting option on the way to campus/work or on the way home. It’s cheaper and healthier in the long run to make meals for yourself: have a packed lunch or eat in with friends instead of eating out at lot; and it’s easy to manage if you take a little bit of time to plan and prepare. Take time out to do a good food shop. Don’t forget you can save even more money by buying supermarket own brands; they taste the same and cost a fraction of the big brand names. Liverpool has a great range of local food suppliers which offer cheap, good quality produce: Check out Student Grub. It offers a box full of healthy local fruit and veg delivered direct to your Halls or Campus with everything you need to make a filling recipe cooked in one pot. Share with housemates or cook yourself.

You have helped me to grow....thanks for your support over the past few years, knowing there was someone at the end of a phone really helped me.

Occupational Health Unit

The Occupational Health Unit reinforces the 2012-2017 Strategic Plan of Liverpool John Moores University, in particular the following supporting aim: a university that provides a fair, supportive and encouraging working and learning environment with which students and staff engage responsibly.

The Occupational Health Unit:

  • Provides a service to protect health at work
  • Assesses and advises on fitness for work 
  • Helps in managing health issues effectively 
  • Supports the University in complying with health and safety law and employment law forms part of the University's risk management process
  • Provides a screening and referral service for healthcare students, pharmacy students, social care students, microbiology students and student teachers in line with fitness to practice standards 

Fitness assessment

The Occupational Health Unit assesses fitness to work for employees and fitness to train or study for various students including healthcare, pharmacy, teaching and social care students.

Health surveillance: the Occupational Health Unit monitors the health of staff where surveillance is required, under Health and Safety legislation.

Vaccinations and travel advice: the Occupational Health Unit provides vaccinations required for work, or for work in connection with travel overseas. 

Eyesight tests: display screen equipment (DSE) users can have eye and eyesight tests arranged by the Occupational Health Unit. A DSE risk assessment must be undertaken before contacting the Occupational Health Unit.

Treatment services: the University hosts several treatment services which can benefit staff and students. The Occupational Health Unit does not provide treatment services.

Get in touch with the Occupational Health Unit:

68 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool, L3 5UX
Tel: 0151 231 3319

Thanks for providing help and support which have helped me get through difficult times on my course, it has been invaluable.

Contact us

Student wellbeing and mental health


Or call: 0151 231 3579 or 07929 999 366



Or call: 0151 231 3110