Students walking

Study visas

Important information on visas required for study in the UK

There are two main immigration permission routes to study in the UK. They are the new Student route visa and the Visitor visa route for short-term study (less than six months).

Which immigration route you require depends on a number of factors, including the length of your studies. The different immigration routes have different conditions attached. It is very important that you obtain the right permission for your study in the UK.

The Student route visa came in on 5 October 2020 replacing the Tier 4 visa route. If you are coming to study a course of six months or more you will need to apply for the Student route visa. In this section, you will find the information you will need to apply for this visa.

The new Visitor route, which came into effect on 1 December 2020, is the most appropriate route for those coming to the UK to study for a course of six months or less, for example, our Study Abroad students.

The Visitor route will replace the Short-term study visa route in the majority of cases. Short-term study visas from 1 December 2020 will only be applicable to students coming to study an English language programme for a duration of 6-11 months. 

Applying for a Student route visa inside of the UK

This information sheet provides advice on applying for the Student Route visa inside of the UK. You will find all the information you need if you are eligible to apply for your visa in the UK, how and where to make your application and what documents you will need to provide, along with lots of other useful information.

Information for applying for a Student route visa inside the UK

Applying for a Student route visa outside of the UK

This information sheet gives advice on how to make an application to the Student Route visa outside of the UK. You will all the information you will need to apply; such as when, where and how to apply for your visa and information on what documents you will to provide to support your application, as well as lots of other useful information. 

Information for applying for a Student route visa outside the UK

Guide to completing the Student Visa application form outside of the UK

The International Advice Team have put together a step by step guide to completing the online visa application outside the UK. The guide explains how to answer every question that could appear on the online form. 

Guide to Completing the Visa application form

Information on police registration

Some international students who are here for six months or more are required to register with the police upon their arrival in the UK. Please note that this is dependent on your nationality. You will see on your temporary Biometric Information Document (BID) if you need to register, where it should state “POL REGSITRATION”. You are usually given seven days to register, however, the police are aware that due to COVID-19 some students will need to self-isolate on arrival in the UK and that some students will be arriving later in the semester. Because of this, they are being flexible and allowing students longer than seven days to register. You should complete your registration as soon as possible (ensuring that you complete any period of self-isolation first).

You will need to produce:

  • your passport
  • two passport-sized photos
  • your LJMU Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)
  • details of where you are living in Liverpool (full address)
  • the complete registration fee.

To Register or update your details with Merseyside Police, please visit the police website:

Click on the “Apply or register tab” then “Register as an overseas visitor.”

Please read all of the information on the web page before booking your appointment.

Please make your appointment as soon as possible.

Registrations and changes are strictly by appointment only.

 Merseyside Police will be undertaking overseas registrations at Liverpool University Guild of Students, from Monday 27th September to Friday 5th November and students will be able to book appointments Monday to Friday, between the hours of 9.00 am and 3.15 pm (closed for lunch 12-1pm)

The registration office at Wavertree Road Police station, will be closed for this six week period.

Merseyside Police request that to remain Covid safe, please can students wear masks to the appointment (unless exempt).

The fee for a registration remains at £34, however due to Covid-19 , there will be no cash payments only card payments will be accepted.

Merseyside Police have reminded us to ask that Students keep their appointments as they do get quite a few no shows. This is an inconvenience to both the Police and fellow students who are struggling to book an appointment.

For any questions about your Police Registration appointment you can email or the International Advice Team on

It is very important students keep to their scheduled appointments. Where possible students should attend alone and no sooner than 10 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment. 

Not sure if you need to register?

Check your visa ‘vignette’ (the sticker in your passport). If it has ‘Police Registration’ or ‘Register with Police in seven days of entry’ you will need to register - more information is available on the GOV UK website.

What happens after police registration?

The police will give you your ‘Police Registration Certificate’. Keep this safe and use it when you re-enter the UK or apply to renew your student visa. If you are asked to produce it, you have 48 hours to do so.

Reporting a change in circumstance after you have completed your police registration. You should report the following changes:

  • change of address
  • change of college/university/course
  • change of occupation
  • change in marital status
  • new landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • new passport details
  • children born whilst you are in the UK
  • exemption from police registration

Every time you change your address, please inform your local police station within seven days of moving to your new accommodation so that they can update your Certificate. If you are living in Liverpool this must be done by requesting an appointment with Merseyside Police by booking an appointment online.

What happens when you complete your degree/leave the UK?

You will need to return your Registration Certificate to Merseyside Police once you have completed your studies at LJMU. You will also need to state when you will be leaving the UK. Certificates should be posted to: Wavertree Road Police Station, Wavertree Road, Liverpool, L7 1RJ.

Visitor visa guide for courses of six months or less

On 1st December 2020 the Visit Visa route replaced the Short-term student route for students coming to study in the UK for courses of 6 months or less. 

The International Advice Team has produced an Information Sheet with answers to FAQs about studying at LJMU on a Visit visa. 

Visitor visa information for short-term study

Visit Visas for Coming to the UK for a visit

The International Advice Team have produced an Information sheet for students and their family to come to the UK for a visit, for example to attend your Graduation Ceremony.

Due to Covid restrictions, please ensure you and your visitor are familiar with the latest UK Government guidance on quarantining on arrival in the UK

Please see our Information sheet on coming to the UK for a visit.

Changes to Your Course of Study and Visa Implications

Student and Tier 4 visas are sponsored visas and issued for you to study on the course as stated on your CAS. The visa conditions and length of validity are based on the information about your course of study as stated on your CAS.

In most circumstances, changes to your study circumstances may have an impact on your visa/ immigration status in the UK.

The International Advice Team have produced an information sheet with advice and points to consider if you are thinking of making any changes to your studies at LJMU.

Changes to Study Circumstances and Visa Implications