Christmas closure and support services over the festive break
As semester 1 draws to a close and we get ready for the festive break, please see below LJMU's opening times.
The university and its services will close at 5.00pm on Thursday 23 December and reopen at 9.00am on Tuesday 4 January.
We recommend that you take a lateral flow test if you are returning home and another before you travelling back to LJMU, in the New Year. We also encourage all students and staff to take up the offer of vaccination, including your booster.
You can read all our latest COVID-19 guidance on our Moving Forward Together webpage.
Coursework extensions and extenuating circumstances
If you need to request an extension for a coursework please complete the online form. Go to the 'Personal Circumstances' option within the left panel and select the 'Extension' option. Please also provide supporting evidence alongside your extension request, which could be in the form of a medical note or correspondence, email from LJMU support services, depending on the nature of your extension request. You can also contact the Academic Registry Helpdesk.
Please note: the Academic Registry Team will not be able to answer module-specific questions.
Building Opening Hours
The Student Life Building – excluding the Core Eatery – will remain open 24/7 during the holidays, staff will be on hand during the day if you need help with anything. This includes Christmas Day, Boxing Day and News Years Day.
Aldham Robarts and Avril Robarts libraries
Saturday 18 December: 10.00am - 8.00pm
Sunday 19 December: 10.00am - 8.00pm
Monday 20 - Wednesday 22 December: 8:45am - 11.00pm
Thursday 23 December: 8:45am - 5.00pm
Friday 24 December - Monday 3 January 2022: closed
Tuesday 4 January 2022 libraries re-open: 8.45am
You can also find all dates and opening times on the libraries webpage.
w/c 20th December: Building closes at 8.00pm
Saturday 18 December: 8.30am - 4.30pm
Sunday 19 December: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Monday 20 – Wednesday 22 December: 7.00am - 9.30pm
Thursday 23 December: 7.00am - 5.00pm
Friday 24 December - Monday 3rd January 2022: closed
Monday 4 January 2022 Sport Centre re-opens: 7.00am
All other buildings
Monday 20 - Wednesday 22 December: Buildings will be locked by 7.00pm (activities to complete by 6.00pm and leave the building to allow lock down processes)
Thursday 23 December: Buildings will be locked by 6pm (activities to complete by 5.00pm and leave the building to allow lock down processes)
Friday 24 December - Monday 3 January 2022: closed
Buildings re-open: 4 January 2022 8.00am
If you find yourself in any difficulty, if you have to self-isolate and can’t travel, you are not alone, we have a range of support services, including food boxes and emergency supplies, so please keep in touch and we will make sure you get all of the help you need.
If you have any questions or concerns over the holiday period, you can contact us at IMT@ljmu.ac.uk.
Our Student Advice and Wellbeing team has created this handy guide, full of advice on personal safety, your accommodation, faith events and services plus 'things to do' in Liverpool during the Winter break too.
Support services over the holidays
Liverpool Sexual Health offer services including contraception, LGBT+ wellbeing support, STI screening, pregnancy testing, abortion referrals and more.
Axess Sexual Health offers STI testing and treatment, contraception, pregnancy testing, PEP and specialist young people's services.
- SilverCloud provide online support with anxiety, depression, stress or other issues
- Student Minds help people deal with the mental health and wellbeing impact COVID-19 is having on their university life
- Student Space is here to make it easier for you to find the support that you need during the coronavirus pandemic. However you’re feeling, help and guidance is available. Explore a range of trusted information, services and tools to help you with the challenges of student life
- Every Mind Matters The NHS app for tips and advice to look after your mental health
- Hub of Hope If you need mental health support wherever you are in the UK, visit Hub of Hope or download the app
- The Mental Health Foundation have a range or resources and tips which are constantly being updated
- CALM offers free, anonymous and confidential webchat and helpline services open from 5pm to midnight for anyone who needs to talk
- Talk Liverpool is a free NHS service offering psychological therapies to adults in Liverpool who are feeling depressed or anxious
- Mind provides practical guides to help you take care of your mental health and wellbeing
- Rethink Mental Illness has a range of resources available to enable you to manage your mental health
- The Mix has a bank of support guides available designed for people under 25 covering issues from money, tenancy rights through to advice on supporting others coping with Corona-anxiety
- Samaritans can be contacted 24/7 on 116123 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will get a response within 24 hours
- Papyrus can be contacted on 0800 068 4141 every day 9.00am to 12 midnight
- Text SHOUT on 85258 who offer 24/7 text mental health support and are open 24/7
One of our student ambassadors, Roy, will be in SLB by the Global Lounge on the 24 December and also between the 27 and 31 of December from 2pm to 4pm. International Students are more than welcome to come and have a chat with Roy.
For January start International Students, any requests for airport pickups and self-isolation package, please fill in the online international-student-arrivals-information form.
International Students FAQ has been updated with links to government policies regarding border entry policies.
LJMU staff support
Staff can also use the Vivup EAP service to speak to a trained counsellor 24/7, 365 days a year. To access the support line, call 0330 380 0658 and mention you are LJMU staff or visit the website for additional support.
We hope you enjoy the festive break and wish you a Happy New Year, we look forward to seeing you in 2022.