Our business services
Whether you're a start-up or an established brand, we have a range of services for you to choose from
LJMU is one of the top universities in the UK for engaging with business and industry, with top-rated, award-winning Knowledge Transfer Partnerships and unique collaborations that combine our academic skills with the real world know-how of industry professionals.
We offer dedicated Key Account Management to assess your needs and co-ordinate your access to our skills and expertise.
How can we support you?
Click on the tabs below to find out more about the services we offer:
Working with an academic consultant can open new perspectives for you, explore different ways to solve complex business problems or provide your organisation with an expert voice to help shape your company.
We offer you access to expertise, skills and resources that are internationally recognised. You'll benefit from advances in research, specialist opinions, and building relationships with academic and research teams focused on your industry sector.
Contract research and development
Contract research is generally defined as research commissioned by an external organisation, where any rights generated are usually owned by that organisation.
By commissioning contract research, you will be working with academic experts who apply academic rigour and skills to research, and working with you through a partnership approach can provide a tailored solution to your organisation's needs.
Access to world-class facilities and experts means that you are working with innovative, skilled research teams who are keen to impact on your business, deliver results for you, drive innovation and develop new ideas.
We pride ourselves on the standard of our research and have been recognised, nationally and internationally across many fields.
Find out more about research collaboration and partnership.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
What is a knowledge transfer partnership (KTP)?
A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) is a scheme that links universities and graduates to businesses. By taking part in a KTP, you can use LJMU’s knowledge, technology and skills to strengthen your company. Organisations and businesses of any size, sector or region from the UK are welcome to take part.
As well as being beneficial to companies, a KTP also gives academics the opportunity to apply their research to real-world projects and provides a recent graduate with a strategic project to manage.
Benefits for the business
• KTP projects are part-funded by Innovate UK
• A high-calibre graduate (the “associate”) employed by LJMU will provide day-to-day delivery of the project in your organisation
• Academic supervision of the project for half a day per week to ensure effective knowledge transfer
• Development of new products, services or strategic change to promote growth within the company
Benefits for the academic
• Develop business-related teaching materials
• Initiate new research projects and publish high-quality research papers
• Identify undergraduate or postgraduate projects
• Contribute to the Research Excellence Framework exercise (REF)
Benefits for the graduate associate
• Enhance your career prospects
• Manage a challenging project
• 58% of associates are offered employment by the host business on completion of their project
• KTP is a recognised route to fast-track career development
• You’ll receive training, coaching and mentoring support
KTPs and LJMU
Within the North West, LJMU is known for its KTP projects and we have been given numerous awards for our work in this area. You can find out more about our KTP work by exploring the following case studies:
• Delta Fluid Products
• Beverley Clifton Morris
Projects are part-funded by Innovate UK. For a SME, 67% of the costs are funded. If your company is larger, 50% of the costs are funded.
KTPs launched in 1975, addressing a shortage of engineering skills. 2015 will mark KTPs 40th anniversary. LJMU have been running KTPs for nearly as long. Since 1979 we’ve run over 125 projects.
“KTPs are one of the longest running schemes within the innovation ecosystem. That this scheme has continued for over 40 years is testament to its effectiveness and the ongoing demand for the support it provides.”
The Dowling Review of Business-University Research Collaborations, July 2015
To find out more about KTPs at LJMU, please contact Estelle Hargraves, the Knowledge Transfer Officer.
Call: 0151 231 8056
Accredited qualifications, open courses, CPD and bespoke training
LJMU can help you stay ahead of the ever-changing world by learning, growing and developing your skills and those of your staff. Whether you need an accredited programme or bespoke solution, our development activities and CPD capabilities can help fulfil the potential of individuals, teams and your business as a whole.
We offer a full range of programmes and courses to suit the needs of specific professional industries:
- Degrees and postgraduate courses
- Professional qualifications
- Short courses
- Continuous/post professional development programmes
- Bespoke learning/development
We will do whatever it takes to work with your organisation to enhance the skills of your workforce, equipping your team to achieve objectives and ensure your people are best placed to make a positive contribution to your business.
Our Staff Development Team deliver:
- Accredited programmes
- Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) Leadership and Management and Coaching and Mentoring
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Level 3 Qualification in Training and Education (EAT)
- Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) Developing Professional Practice Award (DPP)
- Open courses in areas such as speed reading and writing, assertiveness, team development, presentation skills, project management, effective minutes and agendas, and PowerPoint
- Bespoke development on a variety of topics, in a range of different formats and structures to suit your needs
For more information or a free consultation get in touch with us:
Tel: 0151 231 5550
Facilitation services to support innovation, strategic and organisational change
By using creative thinking and facilitation methods combined with digital technologies you can explore issues and achieve objectives in new and innovative ways.
Expert facilitators will capture your discussions and ideas collaboratively yet anonymously through our interactive technology, The Distiller®. This brainstorming technology allows you to record and arrange active debate into a visual mind-map whilst giving everyone the freedom and anonymity to confidently and honestly respond.
Custom designing each session to meet your needs, we give you the freedom to concentrate on the ‘what’ while we look after the ‘how’ and working together deliver results.
We can provide facilitated sessions for organisations across a wide variety of needs such as:
- Focus group sessions
- Strategic planning
- Organisational change
- Team development
- Innovation and creative thinking
Support for business start-ups and entrepreneurship
The LJMU Start-Up Network helps students and graduates starting their own business or working freelance to make business connections with established entrepreneurs and business support agencies.
The Network can support your business in a number of ways:
- Access to business and trading opportunities, events, networks and contacts
- Information on funding and access to LJMU’s knowledge and expertise
- Access to LJMU’s student and graduate workforce
- Raising your business profile through our monthly members’ e-newsletter and our online social media community
Find out more about LJMU's Centre for Entrepreneurship.
Funded projects for SMEs
- The Low Carbon Innovation Hub develops innovative low carbon goods, processes and services via collaborative partnerships between local companies in Merseyside and University researchers
- The Low Carbon Innovation Hub aims to work with local SMEs on an individual basis to identify opportunities for low carbon development which will bring about economic and environmental benefits, along with giving businesses a competitive advantage in these areas. The project requires no monetary investment from the companies that the Low Carbon Innovation Hub works with.
- Our Open Labs team helps businesses become more successful through innovation by enabling them to take full advantage of the world-class knowledge, expertise and research facilities available at LJMU
- With clear expertise and focus on the development of digital products and services, Open Labs can share market and technological insights, broker relationships with academics, advise on funding and strengthen peer networks
- Our ERDF-funded outreach project brings together the staff and technical equipment of our internationally-renowned General Engineering Research Institute (GERI) in a dedicated facility for engineering research which provides expertise in measurement, sensing, materials processing, advanced manufacturing and biomedical engineering. The Institute works with SMEs as core partners.
Are you a recent #computerscience graduate interested in AR/VR/Immersive spaces? We have a great #gradjob opportuni… https://t.co/v6co6SM1w1
Need more information?
For general enquiries or to discuss how your organisation can connect with the University’s research expertise please contact us using the details below.
Tel: 0500 876543