A world-leading research institute
The Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences is first in the UK for Research Quality at the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014*.
The Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences (RISES) is the home of broad-based, multidisciplinary, fundamental and applied research. RISES have been awarded the Research Team of the Year 2015 by Educate North.
Our research highlights include:
- adapting play areas and schools in order to tackle unhealthy lifestyles and obesity in children
- working alongside Premiership football clubs, locally and across the country for performance analysis and injury prevention strategies
- providing cardiac screening and investigating the cardiovascular health of athletes
- studying nutritional support for elite athletes, stem cell biology in ageing and muscle wasting
- investigating learning via imitation in autism
- examining muscle control in cerebral palsy via interactive video games
RISES staff interrogate the ‘exercise response’ from the cell to the community; from the elite athlete to multiple clinical groups; from the youngest to the oldest members of society.
* Research Quality Index data provided by Research Professional and available via Research Fortnight.
Psychology and development
Chris McCready talks about his research into personal development in elite youth football
Take part in our research
The Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences run research studies throughout the year. We are often seeking a wide range of people to take part in various research.
If you are interested in taking part, take a look at our current studies to find out more.
Social media directory
Sport and Exercise Sciences Twitter accounts
Research expertise and services
LJMU Sport Science: @LJMUSportSci
LJMU Sport Nutrition: @LJMUNutrition
Face to Face with Sport Science: @F2FSS
Football Exchange: @LJMUFootball
Physical Activity Exchange: @LJMU_PAEx