Learn more about the Prisons and Punishment Research Group
- Deaths in prison and structures of democratic accountability
- Safety in prison
- Community punishments and restorative justice
- Community punishment and gender
- Developing radical alternatives and policy initiatives to the prison
- International research on prisons and community punishment
To critically analysing the role of the modern prison in the process of punishment and developing radical alternatives to custody and the system of punishment as it currently operates.
The Prisons and Punishment Research Group seeks to critically analyse the role of the modern prison and to outline a series of radical, alternative policies designed to develop a criminal justice system that is based on social justice and social inclusion rather than the current system which delivers pain and punishment and which is beyond democratic accountability.