International opportunities to volunteer, travel and gain work experience
LJMU has partnered with Smaller Earth – one of the UK's leading youth travel providers. This partnership enables our students to experience new cultures, societies and communities – providing opportunities for academic and personal growth.
Whether you want to take part in an internship abroad, work and travel in America or volunteer on a conservation project in a distant land, there’s a travel experience to suit you. There are over 30 programmes to choose from, so there’s bound to be something that appeals to your interests and goals – take a look at what programmes are available.
Our joint vision is to provide cultural, volunteer and work opportunities for students to develop and enhance both their confidence and capability in international settings.
Why work abroad?
There are many benefits to working abroad, here are just a few:
- Enhance your CV – gain international work experience; working abroad builds character and makes you stand out from the crowd when it comes to finding employment
- Gain applied experience – you’ll have unique international experiences that will contribute to your personal growth
- Earn money – if you're taking part in a work programme you'll be paid for your time
- Learn relevant skills – you’ll be given the opportunity to learn skills relevant to what you’re studying, you’ll learn beyond the classroom and apply practical skills to your field
What type of work can I do?
There are a number of different opportunities available including:
- Camp Leaders: Interested in working with young people at activity-based or speciality summer camps? There are 500 different camps across all 50 states of America – you can work in a paid placement as a camp counsellor or in a support role.
- Resort jobs: You could spend up to 3 months working and traveling across the US at some of the country’s top resorts in various hospitality roles.
- Volunteering: A fantastic way to apply practical experience to your classroom based learning. The choice of locations is far-reaching with a host of programmes across Asia, Africa and South America. You could be involved in conservation projects, support underprivileged communities, or change the lives of young people.
- Au pair: Do you love children? This programme gives you the opportunity to mentor and support a child in their family home. Smaller Earth are official members of the International Au Pairs Association and work at the very highest standards of au pair recruitment. You’ll be placed with a family that has been thoroughly vetted and interviewed.
- Teaching English: Smaller Earth offer a TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) course which consists of over 100 hours of experience with the opportunity to teach primary, secondary and university age students. The course takes place in Prague.
Whilst at camp I gained confidence and communication and leadership skills as well as improving my general professional manner.
What LJMU students say
Read about the experiences of students who have taken part in Smaller Earth programmes such as sports development in South Africa, lion rehabilitation in Zimbabwe, and gaining TEFL qualifications in Prague.
If you have any questions about this programme please contact us: email@example.com.