Paying council tax as a student

You're exempt from paying Council Tax if you're a full-time student studying a course that will last for at least one academic year.

To find out more about paying Council Tax as a student, please explore the FAQs below. Remember, if you can’t find the information you need or you would like more advice, you can get in touch with a student advisor.

Faq Items

Do I have to pay council tax?

How do I let the council know I am a full-time student?

My parents have asked me to get a certificate, but I live in one of the following areas: Liverpool, Wirral, Sefton, St Helens, Cheshire West or Halton. What should I do?

I think I am moving to Liverpool for a few weeks before my course starts. Will I have to pay council tax?

How do I request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate?

One person in our household is not a full time student. How much do we have to pay?

I am thinking of going on a leave of absence. Will I still have to pay council tax during my leave of absence?

I will be in full-time paid work during my placement year. Will I have to pay council tax?