Moving into your student accommodation is an exciting time and marks the start of your university experience. To help things go smoothly and make sure you are fully prepared, here is some advice from our Accommodation Office.
Most new students will have arrived in Liverpool, if possible, by Sunday 18 September, ready for the start of induction week on Monday 19 September.
Any queries about the move-in to halls should be directed to the hall owner and not to LJMU in the first instance.
Moving into my accommodation - UK students
If you are a:
- UK Nursing student, you can move into your LJMU accommodation from Friday 2 September onwards. You must arrive by Sunday 4 September as your induction week begins on Monday 5 September.
- UK Midwifery student, you can move into your LJMU accommodation from Friday 9 September onwards. You must arrive by Sunday 11 September as your induction week begins on Monday 12 September.
- UK student on any other course, the owner of your hall will give you a move-in timeslot in the period from Thursday 15 to Saturday 17 September.
- UK student travelling from outside of mainland UK (for example from Northern Ireland or the Channel Isles) then you can arrive from Wednesday 14 September onwards, if this helps with the cost and availability of travel. However you must inform the hall owner at least one week in advance if you intend to arrive early. Please note that you may be alone in your flat for up to three days if you arrive early. It is also essential that you keep the shared kitchen and lounge clean and tidy, so that your flatmates have a pleasant experience when they arrive later.
It is not usually possible to move into your hall before your allocated timeslot.
Moving into my accommodation - International students
If you are an International student or a new student from outside of the UK, you can move into your LJMU accommodation from Monday 12 September onwards, during normal office hours, 9am-5pm.
You are invited to take part in the International Student Welcome Fair on Thursday 15 and Friday 16 September. If you know that you will be arriving at the hall outside of office hours, you must inform the hall owner at least one week in advance. This advice applies to all International students, including those coming to LJMU on an exchange programme for a full academic year or for one semester.
Essential things to bring with me
You will need to bring:
- Paperwork and ID documents that have been requested by your hall and by LJMU itself.
- All your own bedding - except for the mattress - as well as personal items such as towels.
- Pans, utensils, crockery and cutlery, as well as a toaster and kettle, but we recommend waiting until you arrive to make sure you and your flatmates don’t bring one each!
- Items for your bedroom - You are free to bring what you want for your bedroom, subject to any list of restricted items that your hall owner has given you. But remember that your hall bedroom may be smaller than you are used to, especially if it has an en-suite bathroom.
- TV License - Your flat may contain a communal TV and if so, the Licence will have been purchased for it. You will need to buy a Licence for any device that you bring, if you plan to watch or record live programmes - visit the TV Licensing website.
There are many discount stores in Liverpool city-centre within easy walking distance of your hall such as Wilko, Argos and the student favourite, Home Bargains, where these items can be purchased. All kitchens in our halls include at least one cooker, fridge-freezer and microwave.
Think carefully about not bringing too much stuff. As a rule of thumb, if you cannot get all your belongings into the boot and back seat of a family car, then you are probably bringing too much.