CPD Sexual Health in Practice
Level 6 (undergraduate), 30 Credits
This course is designed to meet the evolving needs of practitioners holding a first level registration on the NMC Professional Register in the United Kingdom, who wish to develop knowledge and competencies within the contraception and reproductive sexual healthcare environment.
If you are a registered nurse, midwife or health visitor/public health nurse, completing this course will enable you to become professionally competent and confident in giving advice and effective care to people of all ages on matters concerning:
- fertility control
- sexual health promotion
- sexual health screening
The cost for this CPD module is £1,200, plus the clinical placement carries a separate additional cost to be paid directly by you to the local service. You should arrange this with the Contraception Services Clinical Manager.
Course under review
During this module, you will study:
- male and female reproductive anatomy
- sexual health, development and sexuality
- sexual health promotion and education
- sexually shared infections
- fertility and sub-fertility
- contemporary methods of contraception and new developments in contraceptive methods
- choice, culture and religion
- reproductive/sexual health services at local and national level
- termination of pregnancy and professional medico-legal and ethical issues
- psychosexual problems
- well person screening
- pre-menstrual syndrome/menopause
- sexual health and disability
- specialist groups and agencies
Teaching and learning
The programme is delivered over one semester (15 weeks) commencing in September.
You will complete an initial introductory 5 day study week followed by 7 LJMU-based study days organised over the remaining weeks of the course.
Clinical experience consists of working with an experienced mentor for a minimum of 36 hours within a specialist service. The clinical placement carries a separate additional cost to be paid directly by you to the local service. You should arrange this with the Contraception Services Clinical Manager.
The clinical placement usually starts early in the course and continues throughout the semester.
In order to be considered for this course, you must:
- be a Registered Nurse, Midwife or Health Visitor/Public Health Nurse currently on the NMC register
- have a confirmed clinical placement in an appropriate Contraception and Sexual Health Service
Please note: Your placement within specialist contraception and sexual health services must be confirmed before you commence the course.
How to apply
To apply for this programme, you are required to complete an LJMU CPD application form. You will need to provide details of your qualifications and curent employment.
You will be assessed via:
- a presentation of a public health poster highlighting an issue related to contraception or sexual health
- a portfolio of clinical evidence and completed clinical assessment
This Continuing Professional Development can be studied within the MSc Advanced Healthcare Practice (Clinical) award framework or as a single CPD.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.
Further guidance on programme changes.