CPD Law Enforcement Response to Hate Crime
Level 7 (postgraduate), 20 Credits
This module will consider the issues involved in hate crime, taking you through a structured approach in assessing the many and various forms that hate crime can take, understanding the impact on victims and exploring what motivates offenders.
You will study the legislation to deal with incidents of hate crime, together with the procedures and guidance that govern the work to deal with prevention, investigation, enforcement and the support to victims.
This programme will also critically assess the effectiveness of work by those agencies, organisations and groups involved in dealing with hate crime in the UK, evaluating their respective role and responsibilities and how these agencies work together in addressing all aspects of such offences.
After completing the module you should be able to:
- Critically assess the various forms that hate crime and mate crime can manifest as and the legislation, procedures and guidance in place to deal with it
- Critically assess the impact that hate crime can have on victims
- Critically evaluate what motivates or provokes offenders in cases of hate crime
- Critically assess which agencies have a role in dealing with hate crime, understanding their respective individual responsibilities and the multi-agency approach
Teaching and learning
Learning is on a part-time basis and through delivery on-site (at LJMU), off-site or through a blended delivery process incorporating some distance learning. Delivery will be supported by LJMU’s Virtual Learning Environment, Canvas. While the intake month is flexible, with the module being able to commence in semester 1, semester 2 or the summer period, the duration of study will usually last 18 weeks. Guest lecturers will be used on this programme and Masterclasses are likely to be run in parallel with each module. Participants are strongly encouraged to attend these events if calendars allow.
This course consists of:
- 7 sessions run over a 18 week period
- 21 taught hours
- 200 learning hours
- First degree at 2:2 or above, international equivalent or through RPEL
- This CPD module is open to recruitment for police officers or staff. This CPD module is open to recruitment for Police Officers, Police Staff. The content of the programme is also of relevance to individuals working in other law enforcement agencies who will deal with hate crime as a key element of their work processes
- 2500 word essay
- 10 minute presentation and poster
This 20-credit module is studied as a single CPD programme and can contribute towards further studies at Level 7.
How we handle your data
We will use the information in this form to process and respond to your request and to comply with our legal obligations.
For further information as to how we handle your data, please see the Information Compliance Privacy Notice.
The University may make changes to a programme of study or module where such changes are deemed to be beneficial to students, are minor in nature and unlikely to impact negatively upon students or become necessary due to circumstances beyond the control of the University.
Further guidance on programme changes.